Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
An application asks me to select industries I'm interested in, but I'm applying for a generalist role. I have experience in one sector but don't want to get boxed into it. How seriously should I treat that preference field?
Mayank G.CoachTreat it as a genuine preference signal, but not automatically as a permanent staffing commitment.
I have always liked the idea of consulting partly because of travel and variety, but I also have a family now and I know travel can become a downside fast. Is it naive to see travel as a positive, or does it depend too much on the firm and office?
Mayank G.CoachTravel can be a positive for some people, but it should not be treated as a guaranteed feature or benefit of consulting.
I'm looking at two roles at the same consulting firm, one generalist and one tied to a specific function. The specialist role matches my background better, but I'm worried it narrows me too early. How would you compare them?
Mayank G.CoachStart with the work you will actually do, not the label. Generalist and specialist paths can lead to very different project mixes even inside the same firm.
A big part of why consulting appeals to me is that I am not sure what industry I want long term. I like the idea of learning across different problems and keeping my options open. Is that a reasonable motivation, or does it sound like I am using consulting because I cannot decide what I actually want?
Mayank G.CoachWanting broad exposure and future optionality can be a valid reason for choosing consulting, but it is stronger when you connect it to what you want to learn and do in the role itself.
I am pretty sure I want to end up in tech strategy or product eventually. I am deciding between going directly into a tech role and doing consulting first. Does consulting still make sense when I already have a likely destination, or is it mainly valuable when you are undecided?
Mayank G.CoachConsulting can still make sense if the skills, exposure, and role you would gain are more valuable to you than going directly into tech.
I care a lot about the MBB opportunity, but the office where I have the best chance is not somewhere I see myself living for more than a couple years. Would you take the offer for the experience and move later, or prioritize location from the start?
Mayank G.CoachTreat location as a real part of the career decision. MBB experience can create future mobility, but transfers are not guaranteed and two years in a city you dislike is still two years of your life.
I have an offer from a solid consulting firm and I'm genuinely happy with it. Part of me still wants to try MBB again next cycle because I came close this time. Would you reapply, or just commit and stop optimizing for brand?
Mayank G.CoachIf you already have an offer you like, MBB becomes an optional upside rather than a rescue plan. That changes how much time and emotional energy the reapplication deserves.
I may have a shot at MBB, but the likely entry level is one step below my current title in industry. Pay would still be okay, but on paper it looks like a demotion. Would you care about the title drop if the long-term move makes sense?
Mayank G.CoachA lower title can still be a rational move if the role gives you stronger long-term development, compensation, exposure, or future options. Titles are not perfectly comparable across industries and consulting firms.
I'm comparing an MBB path with an internal strategy role that would probably be 15-20 hours lighter per week. The strategy role is still interesting, just less variety and brand. How much weight would you put on the lifestyle difference this early in a career?
Mayank G.CoachThe lifestyle difference deserves real weight because fifteen or twenty hours every week changes how much energy you have for relationships, health, and life outside work.
I have a job I genuinely like, good manager, decent hours, and solid progression. MBB is still attractive for the learning and brand, but this isn't an escape situation. How would you think about the tradeoff when the current job is already pretty good?
Mayank G.CoachWhen your current job is already good, the bar for leaving should be higher. MBB should add something specific enough to justify giving up a situation you already value.
I'm interested in consulting mainly for the learning curve and exposure, but I don't see myself staying long term. Realistically I would probably do two or three years and then move into industry. Is that a bad reason to apply, or is that actually a pretty normal plan for people entering consulting?
Alessandro L.Coachgenerally speaking 2/3 years of consulting can be very beneficial, and it's what the vast majority of consultants do. But I will caveat that by saying that you also need to really reflect, in depth, on what you want to get out of the experience.
I like the actual problem solving part of consulting, but networking is easily the part I dislike most. Cold outreach + coffee chats just feel unnatural to me tbh. Can you still recruit successfully without doing a ton of networking, or am I putting myself at a real disadvantage?
Mayank G.CoachYou can recruit without loving networking, but avoiding it completely can reduce the information and relationships available to you. Networking is especially useful for learning how offices and firms differ and for making your application more informed.
I'm already in a solid industry role with decent progression and could probably move into strategy internally. Consulting would mean more hours and probably a short-term lifestyle hit. If the main goal is learning and optionality, does the switch still make sense when you already have good exits from where you are?
Mayank G.CoachConsulting can still be valuable, but the opportunity cost is higher when you already have good industry progression. The decision should be based on what consulting adds that your current path cannot provide as easily.
I keep seeing people talk about MBB like it is a completely different career universe from Tier 2, Big 4 strategy, or strong boutiques. I get that the brand is stronger, but sometimes the internet makes it sound like your entire future changes based on those three letters. I am deciding between opportunities and trying to understand how much of the prestige difference is real versus online…
Mayank G.CoachThe prestige gap is real in some contexts, but it is often exaggerated online. MBB brands can open doors more quickly because employers, investors, and business schools understand the screening and training behind them. That can matter for certain exits, especially highly competitive strategy or investing roles.
I keep hearing that MBB is up-or-out and that people can get managed out, but most descriptions are super vague. I am trying to understand what underperformance actually looks like before it gets serious. Is it obvious stuff like bad work and missed deadlines, or can someone be working hard and still get poor reviews because they are not progressing fast enough? Ngl the second version sounds more…
Mayank G.CoachUnderperformance at MBB is often less dramatic than people imagine. It is usually not one catastrophic mistake. More often, it is a pattern where someone is not progressing at the expected rate across problem solving, communication, ownership, or team effectiveness.
I got accepted into McKinsey Forward and I am happy about it, but curious how much weight it actually carries if I apply to McKinsey later. Is it mainly a learning program or does recruiting care that you completed it?
Mayank G.CoachI would treat McKinsey Forward primarily as a learning and development program rather than as a direct recruiting credential. Completing it can give you useful skills and a legitimate connection to the firm, but it should not be viewed as an interview guarantee.
Recruiting materials make consulting sound like nonstop interesting strategy problems, but obviously there is probably a lot of less glamorous work too. For people who have done it, what is the biggest difference between the pitch and the real BCG job?
Mayank G.CoachThe recruiting story is directionally true but naturally selective. You can work on interesting strategic questions, learn quickly, and get exposure to senior clients. You can also spend long hours cleaning analysis, building slides, coordinating with stakeholders, and revising work several times.
I am in a slightly weird graduation timeline where I could plausibly fit either an internship or FT application. Is it okay to apply to both at the same firm, or does that just make it look like I do not know what I want?
Mayank G.CoachWhether you can apply to both usually depends on the firm, office, and eligibility rules for that recruiting cycle. Some systems may allow both applications, while others expect you to choose the path that matches your graduation date.
I am considering a non-MBA Master's and consulting is one of my main goals. Is MiM generally the cleanest route, or can something like finance/econ/analytics work just as well if the school has good MBB recruiting?
Mayank G.CoachThe degree title matters less than the recruiting access and the story it creates for you. A strong MiM can be excellent because many programs are designed for early-career business recruiting, but finance, economics, analytics, and other Master's programs can also work well.
I know the usual target-school names, but is there a meaningful difference between top schools once you are already in that group? Trying to understand whether recruiting access changes a lot or mostly comes down to the candidate.
Mayank G.CoachSchool access matters, but it is better thought of as a recruiting channel than as a strict ranking of candidate quality. Some universities and MBA programs have deeper relationships with MBB offices, more on-campus events, larger alumni networks, and more predictable interview pipelines.