Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I've heard some firms offer tuition reimbursement or sponsorship after a summer internship. If I get a return offer from MBB, will the firm pay part of my second-year MBA tuition, and what conditions usually apply?
Mayank G.CoachTuition-related benefits are firm- and program-specific, so do not assume every return offer includes second-year tuition support.
I have a solid return offer from my summer internship and I would be happy taking it, but I am still curious about consulting. Is it worth going through full-time consulting recruiting just to compare options, or does that create unnecessary distraction during second year?
Mayank G.CoachRecruit if consulting is a real option you would seriously consider, not just because the process is available.
I'm an international MBA candidate and trying to build a realistic office list. Which offices are most viable if I need sponsorship and don't speak the local language fluently?
Mayank G.CoachYou need to evaluate sponsorship and language requirements separately for each office because both can change by geography and role.
I am doing an MBA but my summer internship is in corporate strategy, not consulting. I am worried that I missed the normal MBB internship path. Can I still recruit through my school's full-time process, or does having a non-consulting summer make me look like I already chose a different path?
Mayank G.CoachA non-consulting MBA internship does not automatically close the door to full-time MBB recruiting. What matters is whether the firms recruit full-time at your program and whether you can make a credible consulting case.
I'm genuinely flexible on location and could see myself in either a major office or a smaller one. How should I compare big versus small MBB offices for MBA recruiting, project opportunities and long-term experience?
Mayank G.CoachChoose based on fit and the work you want, not on a simplistic assumption that one office size is easier to enter.
My final-round schedule has several interviews close together with very little break. How do I keep my energy and thinking sharp so one difficult case doesn't carry into the next interview?
Mayank G.CoachTreat each interview as a reset. The biggest risk is carrying frustration or excitement from one room into the next.
I have several years of work experience plus the MBA, so my background can get long quickly. How long should my opening 'Tell me about yourself' answer be in an MBB interview?
Mayank G.CoachKeep the core answer concise enough to create a conversation rather than reciting your full resume.
I am in the middle of MBA consulting recruiting and it feels like everyone around me is getting coffee chats, invites, or positive signals while I am getting almost nothing. I have started spiraling and changing my resume every few days. I still have applications open and a couple networking conversations coming up, but I am worried I already missed the important part of the cycle. My casing is…
Mayank G.CoachFirst, separate the parts of the funnel. If you are not getting interviews, the immediate problem is application strength and access. If you are getting interviews but not progressing, the problem is more likely interview performance.
I went to a strong university but completely missed MBB recruiting because I decided on consulting too late. I am now a couple years into industry and wondering whether an MBA is the cleanest way to get a structured second shot at McKinsey/BCG/Bain. Would you try experienced-hire recruiting first, or is it smarter to build toward a top MBA and recruit through campus?
Mayank G.CoachDo not treat an MBA as the default repair mechanism for a missed undergraduate cycle. You now have two potential paths: build a strong experienced-hire profile or use an MBA to re-enter a structured campus recruiting channel.
Most of my strongest leadership examples are from my pre-MBA job, but I'm worried interviewers expect recent stories from business school. Should I prioritize MBA examples even if they are less substantial?
Mayank G.CoachUse the strongest and most relevant stories, regardless of whether they happened before or during the MBA.
My final internship review is coming up and I have basically zero signal on whether I am tracking toward a return offer. Feedback has been generally positive but not glowing, and nobody has said anything direct. Is that normal, or do people who are getting offers usually know before the final review? I am starting to read way too much into every comment from my manager.
Mayank G.CoachDo not assume silence means a negative decision. Many firms manage return-offer communication formally, and individual managers may avoid making promises before the final evaluation is complete.
I have a few strong leadership and conflict stories from before business school. Is it okay to use the same example with different interviewers, or should every interview have completely different stories?
Mayank G.CoachYes, you can reuse a strong story across different interviews when it genuinely fits the question.
I'm preparing fit stories for MBA recruiting and want enough coverage without memorizing ten different examples. How many strong PEI stories should I have ready for McKinsey interviews?
Mayank G.CoachPrepare a small portfolio of strong stories that can cover the major dimensions McKinsey may test rather than dozens of shallow examples.
I was rejected after MBB interviews and was told to wait before reapplying. I was already considering an MBA, so now I am wondering whether starting school during the cool-off period is a smart way to reset the recruiting path. Does an MBA normally override the previous rejection timeline, or should I assume the firm still sees the old process and wait regardless?
Mayank G.CoachDo not assume an MBA automatically erases a prior reapplication restriction. The firm may still see the previous process, and policies can differ by office and recruiting channel.
If you strike out on MBB internship recruiting during MBA year 1, can you still apply for full-time roles in year 2? I know the odds may be different, but I am trying to understand whether the door is genuinely open or whether firms mostly fill from returning interns.
Mayank G.CoachYes, full-time recruiting can still exist, but the number of openings may be smaller and more office-dependent because firms also convert interns.
How realistic is MBB from a top-30 MBA that is not one of the major consulting target programs? If the firms recruit only lightly on campus, can strong networking and a good pre-MBA background make up the difference?
Mayank G.CoachYes, but access is usually the harder part. A T30 MBA may have fewer dedicated events, fewer alumni in the offices you want, and fewer interview slots than the biggest target programs.
If you finish an MBA without joining consulting and then decide to apply to McKinsey afterward, are you still treated as an MBA candidate or as an experienced hire? Does the recruiting process change once you are no longer on campus?
Mayank G.CoachOnce you are outside the campus recruiting cycle, the application is usually less standardized and may be handled through an experienced-hire or off-cycle process, depending on the office and role.
I understand the idea of MECE, but I sometimes spend too long trying to make every case structure perfectly non-overlapping. How strict are MBB interviewers about MECE versus having a practical structure that helps solve the problem?
Mayank G.CoachMECE is a useful principle, not a reason to freeze while trying to build a mathematically perfect framework.
I'm preparing for MBB MBA interviews and keep hearing that McKinsey is more interviewer-led while other firms can be more candidate-led. What does that actually change about how I should approach the case?
Mayank G.CoachIn an interviewer-led case, the interviewer more explicitly controls the sequence of questions and may move you from one problem to the next.
I want to start live case practice but my class is large and I don't know who is serious about consulting yet. What's the best way to find reliable case partners without ending up in random low-quality sessions?
Mayank G.CoachStart with your consulting club, recruiting cohort and classmates targeting similar firms or interview timelines.