Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
In a mock, the client first cared about growth and then new information shifted the priority to profitability. My original structure suddenly felt wrong. Should I stop and rebuild it from scratch?
Mayank G.CoachUpdate the structure when the client's objective materially changes, but you do not need to restart the entire case.
I often end up with one branch that has four sub-points and another branch with only one or two. It looks uneven on paper and I worry the interviewer thinks I did not structure it properly. Do the buckets need to be balanced?
Mayank G.CoachNo. The branches should be logically complete and prioritized, not visually symmetrical.
Sometimes I finish explaining my structure and immediately notice I missed something important. No new information has come in yet. Is it better to stick with what I said or openly revise it?
Mayank G.CoachRevise it if the change materially improves how you will solve the case.
I had a case where the client wanted to grow revenue quickly but also protect margins. My structure felt messy because actions that helped one objective could hurt the other. How should I handle cases with conflicting objectives?
Mayank G.CoachMake the tension explicit. When two objectives can conflict, your structure should help the client understand the tradeoff rather than pretending both can always be maximized at once.
I had a case where the client wanted growth, higher margins, and lower risk at the same time. My structure ended up being three separate sections that basically repeated the same business drivers. Is it better to structure around each objective or build one structure that tests all of them?
Mayank G.CoachBuild one integrated structure when the same business drivers affect multiple objectives.
I struggle with picking my approach to the case. How do I get better at choosing the right approach?
Mayank G.CoachStart with the objective and the decision the client needs to make, then choose an approach that directly helps answer that question.

I struggle with structuring unfamiliar cases. How should I approach cases when I have not seen that type of problem before?
Mayank G.CoachWhen a case feels unfamiliar, build the structure from the objective and the business logic in the prompt instead of searching your memory for a matching framework.
I struggle with structuring unfamiliar problems, and I improve best through repetition. How should I practice this?
Mayank G.CoachUse repeated short structuring drills across unfamiliar prompts, but make sure you review the logic rather than only repeating the exercise.
I had a practice case where the client was clearly leaning toward one option from the start. I ended up building my structure almost entirely around proving that option. Afterward it felt a bit like confirmation bias. If the client already has a preferred answer, are you still expected to test other paths seriously?
Mayank G.CoachYes. Treat the client's preferred answer as a hypothesis, not as the conclusion you are supposed to prove.
I understand MECE in theory, but when I build a structure I keep putting things like pricing under both customers and revenue. What's the easiest way to catch overlap before I present the structure?
Mayank G.CoachChoose one organizing logic and keep each idea in the branch where it primarily drives the analysis. Pricing, for example, can sit under revenue rather than being repeated under customers.
I had a mock where the client started by asking about growth, then halfway through the case the interviewer introduced a profitability constraint that changed the problem. I was not sure whether to stop and create a brand-new structure or just adjust the one I already had.
Mayank G.CoachYou usually do not need to throw away the entire structure. Update it explicitly so the new objective or constraint becomes part of how you prioritize the remaining analysis.
I had a prompt where the client wanted to 'improve performance' but there wasn't a clear metric. I asked a couple clarifying questions and still didn't get a specific target. How do you build a useful structure when success itself is vague?
Mayank G.CoachWhen success is vague, turn the ambiguity into a set of possible performance dimensions such as profitability, growth, customer outcomes, market position, or operations.
Every pricing case I do turns into customer willingness to pay immediately. I know that's important, but it feels like I'm skipping half the problem. What else should be in the structure before deciding the right price?
Mayank G.CoachPricing should connect customer willingness to pay with the economics and strategic objective. Start by clarifying whether the goal is profit, growth, market entry, share, or another outcome.
I had a case where the client wanted aggressive growth but also said margins could not decline. My normal growth structure kept suggesting options that would probably hurt profitability. How do you build the margin constraint into the structure from the start?
Mayank G.CoachTreat margin protection as a hard constraint on the growth options. Start with the growth objective, then evaluate every lever based on both revenue upside and margin impact.
My cost reduction structures get way too detailed because I start listing labor, rent, logistics, procurement, overhead, and everything else I can think of. How do you keep it high-level but still useful?
Mayank G.CoachGroup costs into a small number of meaningful categories rather than listing the entire income statement. Fixed versus variable, direct versus indirect, or value-chain stages can all work depending on the case.
I usually announce all 3 buckets first, then go back and explain each one. It can sound a bit robotic and I sometimes forget how I wanted to phrase the later buckets. Is it better to name and explain each branch one by one?
Mayank G.CoachEither approach can work. Naming all branches first gives the interviewer an overview, while explaining one branch at a time can sound more natural.
I think I overcomplicate easy prompts because I'm trying to show enough depth. I end up with too many sub-buckets and then the actual case is simpler than my opening. How do you know when the structure is enough and you should just move on?
Mayank G.CoachOver-structuring usually comes from trying to demonstrate sophistication rather than solve the problem. Start with the minimum set of branches needed to answer the objective.
I know revenue and costs is technically right, but every profitability case I do starts sounding exactly the same. It feels too textbook. How do you tailor the structure without making it unnecessarily complicated?
Mayank G.CoachStart with revenue and costs if they are the real economic drivers, but tailor the sub-branches to the situation. Revenue could mean price, volume, mix, customer segment, channel, or geography depending on the case.
I keep forcing a third bucket because most sample structures seem to have 3 or 4. Sometimes the problem honestly feels like it has two main drivers. Would a 2-bucket structure look too simple in an interview even if the logic is clean?
Mayank G.CoachNo. The number of buckets is not a scoring criterion. Two strong branches can be better than four weak ones if they cover the problem and lead to useful analysis.
I find cases much easier when the objective is specific, like increase profit or decide whether to enter a market. I struggle when the prompt is broad, like 'CEO wants to improve the business.' How much should I clarify before structuring? And what if interviewer intentionally keeps it kinda vague?
Mayank G.CoachClarifying the objective is part of the case, especially when the prompt is broad. Ask what outcome the client actually cares about, what success looks like, and whether there are important constraints.