Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I am currently in audit and may have a chance to transfer internally into a strategy team. Long term I would still like to try for MBB. Is the internal move meaningfully helpful, or do MBB recruiters mostly see the same Big 4 brand either way?
Mayank G.CoachMoving into strategy can strengthen the profile if the new role gives you more consulting-relevant work, but the value comes from the experience rather than the internal label alone.
I am at a Big 4 firm and can probably choose between an internal strategy-type project and a client implementation project. If I want to apply to MBB later, which one is likely to give me the stronger story? The strategy work sounds more relevant, but the implementation role has much more client exposure.
Mayank G.CoachChoose the project that gives you stronger evidence of problem solving, ownership, and impact rather than choosing based only on whether the word 'strategy' appears in the project description.
I'm already doing strategy work at a Big 4 firm, so I'm struggling with how to explain why I want to move to MBB without sounding like I'm just chasing the brand. What differences are credible to talk about, and what would make an interviewer believe the move actually makes sense for my development?
Mayank G.CoachThe move is most credible when you can explain what you have already learned at Big 4 and what you are specifically seeking next. Avoid framing MBB as simply more prestigious.
I am a manager at a Big 4 and talking to McKinsey about an Associate role. The comp is competitive, but the title is messing with my head because on paper it feels like I would be going backward after working pretty hard to make manager. At the same time, I know the career tracks do not map cleanly and McKinsey could open very different doors. I am trying to separate ego from the actual career…
Mayank G.CoachConsulting titles are difficult to compare across firms, so I would be careful about treating Manager to Associate as a literal demotion. The more useful comparison is scope, compensation, learning curve, promotion timing, and what the role positions you to do next.
I am in Big 4 corporate tax right now and thinking about doing an MBA partly to reset recruiting. Long term I would rather be in strategy work, ideally MBB, but my current work is obviously not close to classic management consulting. Is an MBA enough to make that pivot realistic, or would MBB still look at the tax background and think the profile is too far away? Tbh I do not want to spend MBA…
Mayank G.CoachAn MBA can absolutely create a cleaner recruiting entry point for this kind of pivot. Campus MBA recruiting is designed to bring in candidates from many different pre-MBA backgrounds, so you would not be expected to have spent the previous several years doing strategy consulting.
I am already in Big 4 consulting and would rather not disappear for 2 years and pay for an MBA if I can avoid it. I am considering just networking and applying directly to MBB as an experienced hire. Is that actually a realistic route, or is the MBA basically the cleanest way to reset into MBB? I have around 3 years of experience rn.
Mayank G.CoachYes, direct experienced-hire moves from Big 4 to MBB happen. The MBA is one route, but it is not a universal requirement. Whether the direct path is realistic depends heavily on your current role, the strength of your project experience, and whether the target office is actively hiring experienced candidates.
I have offers from Deloitte and EY and long term I would like to try for MBB. The roles are pretty similar on paper. Is one materially better as a stepping stone, or should I just pick based on team and actual work?
Mayank G.CoachI would not choose between Deloitte and EY primarily based on which logo you think MBB will prefer later. The difference in brand value between the two is usually much smaller than the difference between a strong role and a weak role inside either firm.
For people who moved from Deloitte to MBB, what actually got you over the line? I keep hearing networking, but I assume the profile and interview still have to do most of the work.
Mayank G.CoachThat assumption is correct. Networking can help create visibility and context, but it rarely compensates for a profile that is not competitive or an interview performance that is not strong enough.
Went to a decent school but not really an MBB target and I've been at Big 4 strategy/consulting for just over a year. Thinking about applying to MBB as an experienced hire but not sure if I'm jumping way too early. Would another 1-2 yrs + promotion actually make a big difference or should I just apply now and see what happens? Don't really wanna do an MBA solely to get another shot at recruiting.
Mayank G.CoachYou can apply, but with only one year of experience you are in an awkward recruiting window: you are no longer a campus candidate, while your professional track record may still be too short to create a strong experienced-hire case.
I am early in my Big 4 career and want to keep MBB as an option in 2-3 years. What should I actually prioritize now so I am not scrambling later? Better projects, promotion, networking, something else?
Mayank G.CoachThink about building evidence in three areas: impact, ownership, and client exposure. MBB recruiters will care less about how many projects you touched and more about what you actually did on them and whether your role became progressively more demanding.