Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I have one consulting offer with a fairly short deadline, but my other processes are still early. I do not have another offer to use as leverage. Is it okay to ask for more time anyway, or should I wait until I have something concrete?
Mayank G.CoachYou can ask for an extension even without another offer, but keep the request reasonable and specific.
My current job requires a three-month notice period, but the recruiter mentioned they want someone to start sooner. I don't want to resign before I have a signed offer. How should I handle this?
I have an offer but the proposed start date conflicts with a personal commitment. I haven't accepted yet. Is the start date something you can ask to change during the offer discussion, or should I accept first and deal with it afterward?
Mayank G.CoachAsk before accepting if the start date is important to your decision.
I received a consulting offer, but the letter places me in a practice area I didn't apply for and don't know much about. I like the firm, but the placement changes how I feel about the role. Is it reasonable to ask whether I can switch before accepting?
Mayank G.CoachYes, ask before accepting if the practice assignment materially changes the job you thought you were considering.
A recruiter asked if I could potentially start earlier than the date I listed on my application. I might be able to, but it would depend on wrapping up my current job. Is it risky to sound uncertain?
Mayank G.CoachDo not commit to a start date you may not be able to honor.
I have a consulting offer and I'm excited about it, but I still have questions about the actual team and day-to-day work. Is it normal to ask recruiting to connect me with future colleagues before I make a decision?
Mayank G.CoachYes. Once you have an offer, it is reasonable to ask for conversations that help you make an informed decision.
I accepted an offer with a standard start date, but a personal situation has changed and I may need a few extra weeks before joining. Is it reasonable to ask after acceptance, or does that make me look unreliable?
Mayank G.CoachIt is reasonable to ask, but treat the original start date as your commitment until the firm approves a change.
I received an offer with a short deadline and the recruiter strongly suggested I stop speaking with other firms while I decide. That felt a little strange because I still have another process underway. Is it normal for a firm to ask that, and how should I handle it?
Mayank G.CoachYou can evaluate the offer on its own terms without agreeing to stop other active recruiting unless you have actually made a commitment to do so.
I somehow ended up with offers from two MBB firms and now I am more stressed than when I was recruiting. Compensation is close enough that it does not really decide anything. One office felt warmer and had people I clicked with more. The other firm has slightly stronger work in the industry I think I want long term, but I only met a few people there so I am not sure how much weight to put on…
Mayank G.CoachOnce you have two strong offers, the decision should become more personal and less prestige-driven. The difference between the logos is usually smaller than the difference in office, people, staffing model, and the work you are likely to do.
How unusual is it to move from one MBB firm to another after already working there? I know people switch from Big 4/Tier 2 into MBB, but McKinsey to BCG or Bain to McKinsey seems much less common. If someone is unhappy with office culture, staffing, geography, or promotion trajectory, does applying to another MBB firm look strange? Or do recruiters just treat it like any other experienced-hire…
Mayank G.CoachIt is less common than moving from industry or another consulting tier, but it is not inherently strange. The key question is why the move makes sense beyond changing logos.
I have an MBB offer but the deadline is before another process I care about will finish. Is it normal to ask for an extension, or does that make it look like the firm is clearly not my first choice? If asking is reasonable, how much extra time do people usually request?
Mayank G.CoachYou can ask. Firms know candidates may be managing overlapping processes, although they are not obligated to extend the deadline.
I have an investment banking offer with a pretty aggressive deadline, but I am still in process with MBB and would strongly prefer consulting if I got it. I do not want to look like I am trying to game the process, but the timing is genuinely forcing a decision. Is an exploding offer a valid reason to ask the MBB recruiter whether they can accelerate interviews or decision timing? I assume they…
Mayank G.CoachYes, a real competing-offer deadline is a reasonable reason to contact recruiting. Keep the message factual: you remain very interested, you have another decision deadline, and you are asking whether any acceleration is possible.
For a standard MBB offer, is there actually anything worth negotiating? Salary seems pretty standardized by office/level, so I am wondering if asking is pointless or if signing bonus / start date / relocation can sometimes move.
Mayank G.CoachCore compensation at large consulting firms is often standardized for a given role and office, so there may be less room than in some experienced-hire or industry offers.
I may end up with another opportunity after already telling an MBB recruiter verbally that I plan to accept. Nothing is signed yet, but I feel terrible potentially reversing course. How damaging is it to back out at this stage?
Mayank G.CoachChanging your mind after verbally accepting is not ideal because the firm may already be planning around your decision, but it is still better to be clear now than to sign and reverse later.