Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
When I applied, I expected to defend my PhD this spring, but my committee pushed the date back by a few months. I can probably still start around the same time, but the degree may not be formally complete yet. When should I update recruiting?
Mayank G.CoachTell recruiting if the delay could affect your graduation status, eligibility or agreed start date.
My PhD work was very independent, so I do not have a team-management story from the dissertation itself. But I did drive the project for years, make difficult decisions, and coordinate with collaborators. Can that still work as a leadership example for consulting interviews?
Mayank G.CoachYes, if the story demonstrates influence, ownership, and decisions that affected other people rather than only independent technical work.
I am a PhD candidate and expect to finish in roughly eight months, but my defense date is not finalized yet. I do not want to start networking so early that people forget me, but I also do not want to wait until recruiting is already underway. When should I start?
Mayank G.CoachYou can start networking before your defense date is fixed. You just need to be transparent that the graduation timing is an estimate.
I didn't do business cases before starting consulting prep, so I'm still figuring out what "ready" should look like for a PhD candidate. How much business knowledge do I actually need to crack a case?
Mayank G.CoachYou need enough business knowledge to understand common commercial concepts, not an MBA's worth of memorized theory.
I'm looking at the advanced-degree recruiting path and the bridge programs still feel a bit opaque from the outside. Does getting into McKinsey Insight mean you get an offer?
Mayank G.CoachGetting into McKinsey Insight is a positive signal, but it is not the same as receiving a full-time offer.
I have an MBB interview coming up and this is one of the practical details I'm second-guessing. How long does it take to hear back after a final round?
Mayank G.CoachFinal-round response times vary by office, interviewer availability and recruiting process.
I'm starting outreach as a PhD candidate and trying not to make it feel transactional. What do I do when nobody replies to my outreach?
Mayank G.CoachLow response rates are normal, especially when you are reaching out cold.
I'm narrowing down office preferences for MBB and don't want to choose based only on brand or city. How hard is it to move offices later on?
Mayank G.CoachMoving offices later is possible in some situations, but you should not choose an office assuming a transfer will be easy.
My academic background is quantitative, but case interviews still feel like a different skill. What's the difference between interviewer-led and candidate-led cases?
Mayank G.CoachInterviewer-led cases give the interviewer more control over the sequence of questions, while candidate-led cases give you more responsibility for deciding where to go next.
I am in a top PhD program and increasingly sure I do not want academia. Consulting looks attractive because I like problem solving and variety, but my resume is almost entirely research. How much does the PhD pedigree help if I have basically no business experience, and what would MBB need to see beyond the degree?
Mayank G.CoachA strong PhD can be a useful academic signal, but firms are not hiring the diploma by itself. They need evidence that you can transfer your skills into client-facing business problems.
My PhD is in a field with basically zero obvious business connection. Does that put me at a big disadvantage for MBB, or are they genuinely open to advanced-degree candidates from almost any discipline?
Mayank G.CoachA non-business PhD is not automatically a disadvantage. Firms recruit advanced-degree candidates because they value rigorous problem solving, not because every PhD studies a commercial topic.
I am a PhD candidate just starting to look at MBB and feel like there are ten things I could do at once: network, casing, resume, ADC events, business clubs, etc. What would you prioritize first?
Mayank G.CoachStart with the recruiting timeline and your application channel. Advanced-degree deadlines can arrive earlier than candidates expect.
Most of my background is academic, so I'm trying to translate it without pretending I already have a business profile. Do consulting firms care about my publications?
Mayank G.CoachPublications can help signal research quality, but they are usually supporting evidence rather than the center of a consulting application.
What is the typical timeline for PhD / advanced-degree recruiting at MBB? I am worried I am using the undergraduate/MBA calendar and could miss the actual ADC deadlines.
Mayank G.CoachAdvanced-degree recruiting can have its own timeline, and it varies by firm, office, and whether you are applying for an internship or full-time role.
I can talk about my PhD for hours, which is probably the problem. Can I use the same story in more than one interview? How do people keep this concise and consulting-relevant?
Mayank G.CoachYes, you can reuse a strong story across interviews when it genuinely answers the question.
My PhD bullets sound like a journal abstract: methods, models, experiments, publications. How do you rewrite research so an MBB recruiter sees consulting-relevant skills without making it sound fake?
Mayank G.CoachShift the emphasis from technical method to problem, scale, decision, leadership, and outcome.
My interview is getting close and I'm trying to remove avoidable mistakes rather than learn something completely new at the last minute. How do I calm my nerves before a final round?
Mayank G.CoachFinal-round nerves usually improve more from reducing uncertainty than from trying to suppress the feeling completely.
I'm finishing a PhD and seriously considering consulting, but I'm trying to understand the tradeoff rather than just the recruiting pitch. Do PhDs get paid less than MBAs with business background in consulting firms?
Mayank G.CoachPhDs are not automatically paid less than MBAs simply because they lack a business degree.
Most of my background is academic, so I'm trying to translate it without pretending I already have a business profile. How do I show I'm serious about consulting with no business experience?
Mayank G.CoachYou do not need to manufacture business experience, but you do need evidence that your interest in consulting is informed and credible.
I have an MBB interview coming up and this is one of the practical details I'm second-guessing. What should I do the day before my interview?
Mayank G.CoachThe day before an interview should be about stability, not a final cram session.