Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I am moving from engineering into consulting. My resume clearly shows that background, so I am not sure whether the cover letter should spend space explaining the switch or focus entirely on why I want the firm. Does the career transition still need its own explanation?
Mayank G.CoachUse the cover letter to explain the transition only if it helps the recruiter understand why the move makes sense. You do not need to restate the fact that you worked in engineering.
One of the firms I am applying to says the cover letter is optional. I can write one, but it will probably be fairly generic because I am applying to several firms at once. Is an average cover letter still better than nothing, or can a weak one actually make the application worse?
Mayank G.CoachIf the cover letter is optional, submit one only if it adds something useful to your application. A generic letter is not automatically better than leaving it out.
Do people actually rewrite the whole cover letter for each MBB firm, or is it normal to keep most of it the same and change the firm-specific section? Trying not to make this a 10-hour exercise lol.
Mayank G.CoachYou do not need to reinvent the entire letter for each firm. Your core story, experiences, and reasons for consulting will naturally stay similar because they are about you.
I can write the content, but I am overthinking the structure. Is there a standard consulting cover letter format that works without sounding like a copy-paste template?
Mayank G.CoachA simple structure works well: why this firm or office, why consulting and why you, then a short close. You do not need five separate sections or a creative opening to make the letter effective.
I keep seeing mixed advice on cover letters. Some people say nobody reads them, others say skipping one looks lazy. If the application makes it optional, is there any real downside to not submitting one?
Mayank G.CoachThe first rule is to follow the application instructions for the specific office and role. If a cover letter is required, submit one. If it is optional, the decision becomes more about whether you have something useful to add.
If I only have a few paragraphs, what information is worth using the space on? I do not want to just rewrite my resume in sentence form.
Mayank G.CoachUse the letter for information that benefits from context. That usually includes why the firm or office makes sense for you, one or two experiences that demonstrate relevant consulting skills, and a clear explanation of why you are making this career move.