Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I got a chart with one year missing for a key segment. I wasn't sure whether I was expected to interpolate, ignore it, or ask the interviewer. What's the best way to handle missing exhibit data?
Mayank G.CoachFirst decide whether the missing value is actually necessary for the question you are solving.
A chart showed market shares that added up to about 96%. I wasted time wondering whether I misread it. Should I flag something like that or just assume rounding or other players?
Mayank G.CoachFlag it briefly if the discrepancy could affect your interpretation, then keep moving.
I had an exhibit where everything was shown as an index with the base year equal to 100. I could see the direction, but I got awkward trying to explain what the changes actually meant for the business. How should I talk through indexed charts?
Mayank G.CoachFocus on relative change, not on inventing absolute values the chart does not provide.
A practice case dropped three exhibits on me at the same time. I started reading them in order, but afterward my partner said I should have prioritized. How do you decide where to start without already knowing the answer?
Mayank G.CoachAnchor the order to the client question, not to the order in which the exhibits appear.
I had a case where one chart showed the last five years and another only showed the last two. The trends looked different and I wasn't sure whether I was even comparing like with like. What should I do in the interview?
Mayank G.CoachStart by calling out the mismatch instead of quietly comparing the charts as if the periods were identical.
I tend to start calculating growth rates and percentage changes even when the chart already makes the direction obvious. It feels safer to quantify everything, but I am probably wasting time. When is the math actually necessary?
Mayank G.CoachCalculate when the magnitude changes the insight or decision. Do not calculate just to turn every visual observation into a number.
Dual-axis charts throw me off because the lines can look like they move together even when the scales are completely different. In an interview, how do I make sure I do not draw the wrong conclusion from that type of exhibit?
Mayank G.CoachRead both axes before interpreting any relationship between the lines.
I had an exhibit where one small segment grew a lot in percentage terms but a large segment added far more dollars with a smaller percentage increase. I was not sure which one to emphasize. How do you decide whether percentage growth or absolute impact matters more?
Mayank G.CoachUse the metric that best answers the client's objective, and mention the other when it changes the interpretation.
I am getting better at spotting outliers in exhibits, but I think I sometimes overdo it and mention every weird data point I see. If an outlier does not seem connected to the client question, should I still call it out to show that I noticed it?
Mayank G.CoachNo. Mention an outlier when it could change the interpretation or decision, not simply to prove that you saw it.
I had a case where one exhibit made the business look attractive, but the next chart suggested the opposite. I got stuck trying to decide which chart was 'right.' When exhibits conflict, how are you supposed to decide what matters most for the final recommendation?
Mayank G.CoachDo not choose a chart in isolation. Reconcile what each exhibit is measuring and connect both back to the client's objective.
Sometimes I look at an exhibit and just do not understand what it is trying to show for the first 20 seconds. Is it okay to ask a clarification question, or should you always be able to work it out yourself?
Mayank G.CoachIt is completely normal to need a moment to orient yourself. Start with the title, axes, units, legend, and any footnotes. Those elements usually explain most of what initially feels confusing.
My coach keeps telling me my chart reading is descriptive but not insightful. I can explain what the bars or lines are doing, but I do not always get to the ‘so what’ quickly enough. How do you train yourself to spot the real insight instead of just narrating the data?
Mayank G.CoachTry forcing a two-step process: first describe the most important pattern, then immediately ask what that pattern implies for the client’s problem. Insight is usually just data plus implication.
I understand the exhibits, but when I talk through them I end up saying way too much. How do strong candidates communicate the insight without reading the whole chart back to the interviewer?
Mayank G.CoachStart with the headline, not the process. Tell the interviewer the most important conclusion you see, then support it with the two or three data points that make the conclusion credible.
I am okay once I understand the chart, but getting there takes me too long. I end up reading every label and detail instead of seeing the point quickly. How do strong candidates read exhibits faster without missing something important?
Mayank G.CoachFast exhibit reading is usually a sequence, not a talent. Start with the title and axis labels, then identify what the chart is actually comparing, then look for the biggest movement, gap, or outlier before you dive into smaller details.