Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I can do most of the math mentally, but for larger numbers I am much more accurate if I write one or two intermediate steps. I worry that using paper for something simple will make me look slow. Do interviewers care how much of the calculation is mental?
Mayank G.CoachAccuracy and clarity matter more than doing everything in your head.
I often finish a calculation and have no idea whether the answer is reasonable until the interviewer reacts. Would it help to estimate the rough answer before doing the exact math, or does that just add another step and slow things down?
Mayank G.CoachYes. A quick estimate before or after the exact calculation can be an effective error check, especially when the numbers are large.
I see people recommending memorizing squares, common fractions, percentage conversions, and multiplication tables beyond what I normally use. Does that actually save meaningful time in cases, or is it better to just practice normal calculations?
Mayank G.CoachMemorizing a small set of common conversions can help, but you do not need an extreme mental-math library to perform well in case interviews.
I am faster thinking in decimals, but a lot of case prep material converts things into fractions or percentages. For example I would rather work with 0.25 than 1/4. Does the format matter to interviewers, or should I just use whatever keeps the calculation clean?
Mayank G.CoachUse whichever representation helps you calculate accurately and communicate clearly. There is no advantage to forcing fractions if decimals are more natural for you.
Do interviewers expect mental math to be basically perfect, or is there tolerance for a small arithmetic mistake if your setup is right and you catch it? I am much more worried about accuracy than speed right now.
Mayank G.CoachAccuracy matters, but one small arithmetic error is not automatically fatal if your setup is sound and you recover cleanly.
When doing case math, how aggressively can you round? I know estimation is encouraged, but I worry that rounding too early will push the final answer far enough off that it looks sloppy.
Mayank G.CoachRound when it materially simplifies the calculation and the case does not require high precision. The goal is to preserve the business conclusion while reducing unnecessary arithmetic.
My math speed is improving, but I still make annoying mistakes when I feel rushed. Usually it is not a big conceptual error, just dropping a zero or messing up a simple percentage. Any tips for reducing those under-pressure mistakes?
Mayank G.CoachBuild a short checking habit into your process. Before you say the final number, pause for one beat and ask yourself whether the magnitude makes sense, whether the sign is right, and whether you kept track of units correctly.

I know I need to get faster at mental math, but I am not sure what the highest-yield practice actually is. Should I just grind random drills, or focus on certain types of calculations?
Mayank G.CoachTargeted practice usually beats random practice. Focus first on the operations that appear constantly in cases: percentage changes, multiplication shortcuts, division, weighted averages, and break-even style calculations.
