Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
For some market-sizing questions I can see both a customer-demand approach and a supply/capacity approach. How do I decide which one to use in the interview?
Mayank G.CoachChoose the approach that uses the most reliable assumptions and connects most directly to the market you are sizing.
In a market-sizing case, the interviewer gave me a population figure that did not match what I thought was correct. I froze because I did not know whether it was a test or just a simplified assumption. Should you challenge a number the interviewer gives you if you think it is wrong?
Mayank G.CoachUse the number provided for the case unless there is a clear reason to clarify what it represents.
When I do market sizing, I sometimes spend a long time listing every assumption before calculating anything. Other people seem to introduce assumptions step by step. Which approach is clearer in an interview?
Mayank G.CoachState the key structural assumptions upfront, then introduce lower-level assumptions when they become relevant.
Sometimes a market sizing case asks me to estimate something like population or household size, but I actually know the real number. Should I use it, or is the interviewer expecting me to make an assumption and show the logic?
Mayank G.CoachIf you genuinely know a reasonable real-world number, you can use it. The goal is not to pretend you know less than you do.
I sometimes get stuck at the first step because I cannot tell whether to size from total population, households, or some other unit. Is there a general rule for choosing the base, or does it depend entirely on what is being bought?
Mayank G.CoachUse the unit that best matches how the product is purchased or consumed.
I want market sizing practice drills to get better at it. What is the best way to practice market sizing?
Mayank G.CoachPractice the underlying steps repeatedly: define the market, choose a sensible approach, make transparent assumptions, calculate accurately, and sanity-check the result.

In one practice market sizing case, changing a single penetration assumption moved the answer by almost 2x. I was not sure whether that meant my structure was bad or whether I was supposed to call out how sensitive the estimate was. How should you handle that during an interview?
Mayank G.CoachCall out the sensitivity. A market-sizing estimate can still be useful even when one assumption has a large effect, as long as you recognize which assumption is driving the range.
I had a market sizing in an interview and the structure itself was okay, but once I got into assumptions I felt lost. I kept second-guessing whether the numbers were reasonable, which made the whole thing much slower than it should have been. How do people get better at making assumptions confidently without sounding like they are just making things up?
Mayank G.CoachThe key is to remember that assumptions are not judged on exact precision. They are judged on whether they are reasonable, transparent, and internally consistent.

In market sizing I sometimes get stuck because I genuinely do not know an input, like average store traffic or household spending on a niche product. Are you supposed to ask the interviewer, make an assumption, or find a different way to structure the estimate?
Mayank G.CoachDo not freeze just because you do not know a real-world fact. State that you do not know the exact figure, propose a reasonable assumption, and explain the logic behind it.
I understand the definitions, but in a real case how do you decide whether to size a market top-down or bottom-up? Is one approach viewed as stronger in interviews, or is it just whichever gets you to a reasonable answer faster?
Mayank G.CoachNeither method is automatically better. The stronger approach is the one that fits the information available and lets you explain the market logically.
My biggest issue with market sizing is not the framework. It is the assumptions. I always worry the numbers I choose sound arbitrary, so I end up hesitating too much. What is the best way to make assumptions feel more grounded?
Mayank G.CoachTry to base assumptions on simple reference points instead of isolated guesses. Population ranges, household size, usage frequency, and comparable categories are all examples of anchors that can make your logic feel much more credible.
