Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
My university has basically no MBB alumni, so every networking guide that says 'start with alumni' is not very helpful. I do not want to spam random consultants on LinkedIn. What is the least awkward way to build a network when there is no obvious warm path?
Mayank G.CoachUse targeted cold outreach built around genuine common ground rather than high-volume generic messages.
I go to a school where MBB barely recruits. I have limited time before applications open, so I am trying to decide whether to spend most of it on networking or on case prep. Networking seems necessary just to get noticed, but case prep is what matters if I actually get an interview.
Mayank G.CoachBefore the application, prioritize the activities that improve your chance of getting into the process while keeping enough case preparation underway that you are not starting from zero later.
I am at a non-target where MBB basically does not recruit, so I know referrals/networking probably matter more for me. The problem is I have almost no alumni at the firms and cold LinkedIn messages have a low response rate. How would you build toward a real referral without coming across like you are asking strangers for favors?
Mayank G.CoachStart by lowering the immediate objective. Your first goal is not 'get a referral'; it is to have a useful conversation with someone who has enough context to eventually assess you.
If you have a very strong GPA at a non-target, does that meaningfully offset the school brand for MBB screening? Or is the main problem still that recruiters have fewer reasons to look at your application in the first place?
Mayank G.CoachA strong GPA helps because it gives the recruiter a clear academic signal, but it does not fully solve the access problem of being outside a major recruiting pipeline.
If your university has no McKinsey/BCG/Bain events or dedicated application channel, what is the best way to actually get into the interview funnel? Is it just online application + referral, or are there other routes worth pursuing?
Mayank G.CoachYou usually need to recreate parts of the target-school funnel yourself: understand the correct office and deadline, build relationships, and submit through the appropriate public or referral channel.
If you are at a non-target school and still have 1-2 years before recruiting, what should you prioritize to make the profile strong enough for MBB? I know networking matters, but I mean the actual substance of the application. Would you focus more on GPA, leadership, internships, competitions, or something else?
Mayank G.CoachAt a non-target, you want enough strong signals that a recruiter has a reason to look past the lack of an established campus pipeline.
I go to a non-target and that part of my profile is stressing me out way more than anything else. My GPA is good and I have decent experience, but I keep hearing that MBB is just way harder if you are not coming from one of the usual schools. For people who have seen this work, what actually matters most? Is it mostly networking and referrals, or do you basically need to be exceptional everywhere…
Mayank G.CoachBreaking in from a non-target school is absolutely possible, but it usually requires a more intentional process. You cannot rely on the school brand to open doors, so other parts of the profile and process need to carry more weight.
