Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
Do I really need to practice around 100 cases before an interview?
Mayank G.CoachNo fixed number of cases guarantees readiness, and 100 cases is not a requirement.
One of my best examples of influencing senior stakeholders came from a client presentation that did not lead to the decision I wanted. I still handled a difficult situation well. Can that work as a fit story, or does every story need a clean win?
Mayank G.CoachYes. A behavioral story does not need a perfect outcome if your actions demonstrate the capability being tested.
In one mock I got stuck because the interviewer used a term from an industry I don't know well. I guessed what it meant and built part of my structure around that guess. Is it better to interrupt and ask for a definition?
Mayank G.CoachYes, ask if the term is material to understanding the case.
I have almost zero confidence and an interview coming up soon. How should I start and prepare well?
Mayank G.CoachStart with a quick diagnostic instead of trying to fix everything at once.
I have a limited pool of good live cases and I'm starting to cycle back to ones I did a few weeks ago. I remember the general story but not every number. Is there still value in redoing them?
Mayank G.CoachYes, but use repeated cases for a different purpose than fresh cases.
One of my regular case partners is way more experienced than I am. The sessions feel productive, but they often step in quickly when I get stuck. Am I learning faster this way, or am I getting too used to being rescued?
Mayank G.CoachIt can hurt if the help comes before you have had enough time to struggle productively.
In a mock, the interviewer asked what I would recommend almost immediately after the initial structure. I felt like I had nowhere near enough evidence. Should I still give a direction, or push back and ask for more information?
Mayank G.CoachGive the best provisional answer you can, while making the uncertainty explicit.
My interview started immediately with the case and we only did fit at the end. In most of my mocks the order was the opposite, so it threw me off. Is the order usually just interviewer preference, or can it signal what they care about more for that candidate?
Mayank G.CoachThe order usually reflects the interviewer's format or time management, not a hidden signal about your candidacy.
I just finished an MBB interview and realized I never asked whether candidates normally send thank-you notes afterward. Is it expected, helpful, or basically unnecessary?
Mayank G.CoachA thank-you note is optional. It is rarely what determines whether you move forward after an MBB interview.
The interviewer joined late and we ended up moving very quickly through the case. I answered everything, but there was barely any time for questions at the end and the whole thing felt compressed. If the timing issue was on their side, does recruiting account for that?
Mayank G.CoachA late start should not automatically count against you, especially if the interviewer controlled the pace and still completed the assessment.
I struggle with communication, terminology, and structure. How should I prepare for case interviews?
Mayank G.CoachSeparate the three problems so you can improve them deliberately instead of trying to fix everything during full cases.
What preparation level should I reach before I start applying to consulting?
Mayank G.CoachYou do not need to be completely interview-ready before you submit applications, but you should have enough time to become ready if an interview or assessment arrives quickly.
My interview is tomorrow and I want real-life case studies to practice. How useful are realistic case examples this close to the interview?
Mayank G.CoachRealistic cases are useful close to the interview when you use them to test performance, not to cram as many new case types as possible.
How do you actually do a case interview if you are completely new to it?
Mayank G.CoachThink of a case interview as a structured conversation where you clarify the problem, organize an approach, analyze information, and recommend what the client should do.
What should I prioritize when preparing for tech consulting interviews?
Mayank G.CoachStart with the interview format for the specific tech consulting role, then prioritize the skills that format actually tests.
I struggle with structuring unfamiliar cases and with the overall interview timeline. How should I handle both?
Mayank G.CoachUse a simple rhythm: clarify the objective, take a short structuring pause, prioritize the first branch, and keep synthesizing as you move through the case.
I want more case practice, especially practice with real people. How important is live practice compared with practicing alone?
Mayank G.CoachUse both, but live practice should become part of your preparation before the interview.
I need more practice and want to encounter more types of cases. How much variety should I practice before an interview?
Mayank G.CoachAim for enough variety to become adaptable, not to collect every possible case type.
I do not know how to prepare. I just want to practice so I can be prepared for case interviews. Where should I start?
Mayank G.CoachStart by learning the basic case flow, then practice the core skills separately before relying only on full cases.
In one mock, I would start answering and the interviewer would interrupt with a slightly different angle. I kept losing my structure because the target moved. How do you stay organized when the interview becomes really conversational?
Mayank G.CoachWhen the question shifts, briefly restate the new target before answering. That gives you a mental reset and prevents you from solving the old question after the interviewer has moved on.