Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I'm authorized to work now, but my status may change before the firm's expected start date. I don't know the outcome yet. When should I raise this with recruiting?
How do I break into a consulting firm in a different country or culture from my own?
Mayank G.CoachTreat it as both a consulting recruiting problem and a local-market problem.

I have a visa that lets me work there now, but it has an expiration date and I may need sponsorship later. The recruiter asked whether I can work in the country 'without restriction.' I do not want to answer incorrectly because technically I can work, but not forever. How should I interpret that wording?
Mayank G.CoachAnswer based on the actual limits of your work authorization and ask for clarification if the phrase 'without restriction' is ambiguous in your situation.
I currently have work authorization, so I would not need sponsorship on day one, but I probably will need it later. Applications sometimes ask whether I need sponsorship now or in the future, and I am not sure how much detail to give during recruiting. When should this come up?
Mayank G.CoachAnswer application and recruiter questions about current or future sponsorship accurately. Do not wait until the end of the process if the firm has specifically asked about future work authorization.
I am an international student at a U.S. university and want to recruit for MBB. Academically I am in a good place and I have relevant internship experience, but sponsorship is obviously the part I cannot change. How much does needing work authorization actually reduce your chances compared with a domestic candidate? I see firms sponsor in some situations, but I also hear that certain offices or…
Mayank G.CoachNeeding sponsorship can reduce the set of opportunities available to you, but it does not make U.S. MBB recruiting pointless. The answer depends heavily on the firm's current sponsorship policy, the specific office and role, and your work-authorization timeline.
I am interested in an MBB office in another country where I have never studied or worked, but I have family ties there and speak the language. Is it realistic to apply directly, or do firms usually expect candidates to recruit in the country where they currently live?
Mayank G.CoachIt can be realistic, especially if you have a credible connection to the target market. Language ability, citizenship or work authorization, family ties, previous time in the country, and a clear long-term reason for the move can all strengthen the story.
I am an international MBA student in the U.S. and considering MBB offices in Southeast Asia because I have ties to the region. Is recruiting there meaningfully easier from a visa perspective, or does being outside the local MBA recruiting pipeline create a different disadvantage? I speak one regional language but would still be applying from abroad, so I am trying to understand whether this is a…
Mayank G.CoachRegional offices can solve one constraint while creating another. You may face fewer U.S. work-authorization issues, but the office may care more about local language ability, market familiarity, long-term commitment to the region, and whether your background fits its hiring needs.
I am applying as an international candidate and trying to understand how realistic the process actually is if I need visa sponsorship. Online I see people say MBB sponsors, but it is hard to tell whether that means ‘possible in theory’ or ‘common enough that it should not scare you off.’ If anyone has gone through this, how much does sponsorship actually narrow office options or lower interview…
Mayank G.CoachSponsorship is realistic, but it is not equally easy across all countries, offices, and candidate profiles. Some offices are much more accustomed to sponsoring than others, and local hiring needs can matter a lot.

I am looking at MBB offices outside the country where I currently study, and I keep getting conflicting advice on local language requirements. Some people say English is enough for international teams, while others say client work makes the local language basically mandatory. How should I think about this before applying? Is it office-specific, role-specific, or mostly dependent on the country?
Mayank G.CoachIt is usually office-specific rather than an MBB-wide rule. The practical question is whether consultants in that office need to work with clients, regulators, suppliers, or local teams in a language other than English. If the answer is yes, language ability can become a real staffing requirement rather than a nice-to-have.