Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I was rejected before interview last cycle. I could reapply once my cool-off period ends, but I may be promoted a few months after that. Is it smarter to wait for the promotion so the resume shows a bigger change, or apply as soon as I am eligible?
Mayank G.CoachWait only if the promotion is likely to materially strengthen your profile and the delay does not cause you to miss a better recruiting window.
I made it to final round at an MBB firm last year and plan to reapply. My strongest leadership and conflict stories are still the same ones I used before. Is reusing them a problem, or do interviewers mostly care that the stories are strong even if they heard them in a previous cycle?
Mayank G.CoachYou can reuse a genuinely strong story, but do not assume the same set of examples is automatically the best choice a year later.
If you were rejected by McKinsey in one country, can you apply to another office/country before the normal cool-off period ends? Or does the previous process follow you globally?
Mayank G.CoachDo not assume changing countries resets the prior application. Firms can have shared recruiting records, and reapplication rules may apply across offices.
I did not get the return offer from my MBB internship, but the team explicitly told me I should apply again for full-time. I cannot tell whether that is meaningful feedback or just something they say to soften the rejection. I had some clear development areas during the internship, but the final conversation was surprisingly positive and they said they would be happy to see me in the process…
Mayank G.CoachIf the firm explicitly encouraged you to reapply, I would take that seriously enough to consider another attempt. It still is not a promise of an interview or offer.
I applied to MBB before starting my program and got rejected. Now the firm recruits directly on campus. Does applying again through the school channel make me look desperate, or is that considered a normal new recruiting cycle?
Mayank G.CoachA new campus recruiting cycle can be a legitimate re-entry point, but the firm's reapplication policy still matters.
I was rejected from an MBB application a few months ago and now there is another opening that fits me better. If I apply again before a full year has passed, can that hurt future chances or do they just reject the application if I am not eligible yet?
Mayank G.CoachReapplication rules vary by firm, office, and where you exited the process. Do not assume that a new job posting automatically means your previous waiting period no longer applies.
I did an MBB internship but did not get the return offer. I still want consulting and am considering applying full-time either to the same firm or another MBB. How much does the no-offer hurt? Does recruiting basically assume something went wrong during the internship?
Mayank G.CoachA no-return-offer is relevant, but it does not automatically end your consulting path. The context matters: performance, office needs, internship structure, and what feedback you received.
I made it to interviews last cycle and honestly my casing was not ready. If I reapply later, is just doing more cases enough or should I be changing the way I prepare completely?
Mayank G.CoachMore cases only help if they fix the underlying weaknesses. Start with the feedback and reconstruct where your performance broke down: structure, math, synthesis, communication, or judgment.