Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I'm applying now, but my spouse may get transferred to another city before interviews. If that happens, is it reasonable to ask recruiting to change my preferred office?
A recruiter asked whether I'm flexible on office location before scheduling interviews. I do have a preferred city, but I could realistically move. I'm worried that sounding too flexible makes me look unfocused, while being too specific could hurt my chances.
Mayank G.CoachGive the recruiter an accurate answer. Office flexibility can affect where your application is considered, so this is not a question to game.
I already submitted my application with one office as my first choice, but my situation changed and another office now makes more sense. I haven't interviewed yet. Is changing the preference possible, and when should I raise it?
Mayank G.CoachUsually the right move is to contact recruiting as soon as the preference genuinely changes rather than waiting until interviews are underway.
A smaller office appeals to me because I like the people and location, but I worry the project mix could be limited compared with a major hub. Is office size something candidates should seriously factor into the decision?
Mayank G.CoachOffice size matters, but consider it together with staffing model, industry mix, and how much work is shared across offices.
I have more networking contacts in another office, but my partner is based in the city I actually want to choose. I am worried that saying the relationship is part of my reason sounds too personal or not career-focused enough. Is that a legitimate office preference to mention?
Mayank G.CoachYes. A meaningful personal tie to the city can be a credible reason for office preference, especially when it supports a realistic long-term commitment to the location.
I know several people in one office, but another office does much more work in the industry I care about. I have no contacts there yet. Does it make sense to choose the stronger industry fit, or is having an existing network more valuable during recruiting?
Mayank G.CoachYes. An office can be the better choice even if your current network there is small, especially when your long-term interests and location fit are stronger.
People keep saying some offices are easier than others, but I don't know how much that should influence the application. I don't want to pick a city I barely care about just for perceived odds. Is office competitiveness a real enough factor to optimize around?
Mayank G.CoachOffice competitiveness can differ because applicant volume and hiring needs vary, but it is difficult for candidates to know the true odds precisely.
One office has fewer consultants and probably fewer local practice options, but I like the city much more and could actually see myself staying there. How much should office size matter compared with personal location fit?
Mayank G.CoachOffice size matters, but it is only one part of the decision. Smaller offices may have fewer local specialists, yet they can still offer strong staffing opportunities and a closer community.
I have a clearer network in one office, but another location is actually a better fit for where I want to live. Recruiting-wise, the first office probably feels safer. How much should networking strength influence office selection?
Mayank G.CoachNetworking strength can help, but it should not override a location you genuinely prefer or an office where your background fits better.
People always say New York, London, San Francisco, etc. are more competitive, but how much should that affect where you apply? I would genuinely be happy in a few different offices. Is there any smart way to balance office preference with recruiting odds without obviously trying to game the system?
Mayank G.CoachSome large and highly desirable offices receive more applicants, but you should not assume there is a clean public ranking of admission difficulty.
If I am flexible geographically, can I submit applications to multiple offices at the same MBB firm, or do they expect you to choose one primary office? I do not want duplicate applications to create a mess.
Mayank G.CoachOffice selection rules differ by firm and recruiting channel. Some applications let you rank multiple preferences; others route you through a primary office.
If you really like one MBB office but think another might be less competitive, is it dumb to apply to the first one anyway? I am torn between optimizing for the office I actually want and just maximizing the chance of getting in somewhere.
Mayank G.CoachIf you would clearly prefer one office and have a credible reason for it, that should carry substantial weight. You are choosing where you may actually live and build relationships for years.
If someone refers you from a different office than the one you are applying to, does that referral still carry weight? I have a good relationship with a consultant in another city, but basically no contacts in my target office.
Mayank G.CoachA credible referral can still be useful even when the person sits in another office, because they are vouching for you as a candidate rather than simply providing local access.