Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I can usually generate good ideas, but some categories overlap at the edges. I end up spending too long trying to make the brainstorm perfectly MECE. How much does that matter?
In brainstorming questions I can usually get a few ideas out, but then the interviewer keeps asking "anything else?" I start adding weaker ideas because I assume they want more. How should I handle that?
Mayank G.CoachDo not interpret every "anything else?" as a signal that your previous ideas were wrong.
I can usually come up with several ideas, but when I review my notes they are often just variations of the same theme. In a live case that makes my brainstorm sound repetitive even if I technically listed enough points. How do I force more variety without becoming random?
Mayank G.CoachCreate distinct categories before generating ideas. If the categories are meaningfully different, the ideas inside them are less likely to repeat each other.
When the interviewer asks me to brainstorm ideas, my instinct is to start talking immediately so there is no awkward silence. That usually means my first few ideas are random. Is it acceptable to pause for 15 or 20 seconds to structure the brainstorm first?
Mayank G.CoachYes. A short pause to organize your thinking is usually better than immediately giving an unstructured list of ideas.
This keeps happening to me in live cases. I give 2 decent ideas, then my brain just stops working and I can feel the silence getting awkward. Once that happens, I start panicking and whatever comes next is usually weak. If this happens in an actual interview, what is the best way to recover? Should I ask for a few seconds, try to restate a bucket, or just keep pushing through and hope something…
Mayank G.CoachFirst, do not treat a brief pause as a disaster. Interviewers do not expect you to speak continuously without thinking. A calm 5 to 10 second pause is much better than filling the silence with weak ideas.

I usually get to 3 decent ideas pretty quickly and then the quality drops. Should I keep pushing for 5-6 just to show breadth, or is 3 strong ideas actually enough if I explain them well?
Mayank G.CoachThere is no magic number, and interviewers are generally not counting ideas like points on a test. The quality, breadth, and organization of the answer matter more than hitting five or six items.
I can usually get 2 or 3 ideas out pretty quickly in brainstorming, but after that I either go blank or start saying obvious stuff. It feels especially bad in interviewer-led cases when they just stare at me and wait. How are people getting better at this? Is it mostly practice, or is there an actual method for coming up with stronger ideas on the spot?
Mayank G.CoachIt is a skill, not just raw creativity. Most candidates improve once they stop treating brainstorming as a random idea dump and start using a few clear buckets to organize their thinking.

When an interviewer asks me to brainstorm, I usually just start listing ideas. My feedback is that the ideas are okay but the answer feels messy. Am I supposed to structure brainstorming the same way I structure the case?
Mayank G.CoachYou do not need a full case framework every time you brainstorm, but some structure usually makes the answer much stronger. It helps the interviewer follow your thinking and it helps you generate a broader set of ideas without repeating yourself.