Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
A consultant agreed to speak with me but has now canceled twice because of client work. They were apologetic both times. I don't want to be annoying, but I also don't know whether I should let the conversation die. Would you follow up again?
Mayank G.CoachYes, one more low-pressure follow-up is reasonable if they have continued to signal that they are willing to talk.
I was expecting a casual conversation, but the consultant asked why I want consulting and why their firm. I answered informally, but afterward I wondered whether they were screening me. How polished should those answers be in networking calls?
Mayank G.CoachBe prepared to answer clearly, but do not turn the coffee chat into a rehearsed interview.
I have a coffee chat coming up and the consultant asked me to send my resume beforehand. I wasn't expecting that and now I'm wondering whether this is turning into an informal screen. Should I send the same resume I would use to apply?
Mayank G.CoachYes, this is normal. Consultants often ask for a resume simply so they can understand your background before the conversation.
I spoke with a consultant about six months ago and the conversation was useful. Since then I have gained more experience and I am getting closer to applying. Is it normal to ask for another short chat, or should one conversation be enough?
Mayank G.CoachA second conversation is reasonable when there is a genuine update or new reason to reconnect.
The call was very short and mostly logistical, but the recruiter did answer a couple of questions about the office. A full thank-you email feels almost too formal for ten minutes. Is it still worth sending something?
Mayank G.CoachA short thank-you is appropriate if the recruiter gave you useful time or information, but it does not need to be formal.

A consultant said they would introduce me to a colleague in another practice area, but it has been about a week and I have not heard anything. I know they are busy and I do not want to sound pushy. Is a reminder okay when they were the one who offered the introduction?
Mayank G.CoachA brief reminder is reasonable after about a week, especially because the consultant offered the introduction themselves.
I had a good coffee chat and the consultant introduced me by email to someone else in the office. I am going to speak with the second person, but I am not sure what the etiquette is with the first consultant. Do I need to update them afterward, or does that become annoying?
Mayank G.CoachA short update is appropriate, especially because the first consultant made the introduction. It does not need to become an ongoing reporting process.
I have a coffee chat with a recruiter in 2 days. Most coffee chat advice I see is for talking with consultants, so I'm not sure if the conversation should be different. What should I ask a recruiter versus what should I save for consultants?
Mayank G.CoachA recruiter coffee chat is usually more useful for process, timing, office hiring needs, role eligibility, and how the application is evaluated. A consultant is usually better for day-to-day work, team culture, projects, and personal experience.
I have a coffee chat in 3 days and every question I write sounds generic. I already know the person's background and read the firm's website. How do I come up with questions that don't sound like I copied a networking list?
Mayank G.CoachStart with the person's actual experience, not a generic list. Look for one or two things in their background, tenure, practice, or office that genuinely make you curious.
I'm reconnecting with someone I spoke to a couple months ago. First chat already covered their role, office, recruiting, and why they joined. How do you make a second conversation useful without just repeating the first one?
Mayank G.CoachA second conversation should move the relationship forward rather than repeat introductory questions. Bring an update, a specific recruiting question, or a topic connected to something they mentioned previously.
I have a coffee chat next week with a manager and I don't want to waste it on questions I could answer from the website. It's my first chat with someone at that level. What should I prepare beforehand, and what kind of questions are actually worth asking?
Mayank G.CoachPrepare enough context to make the conversation specific: who the manager is, their office or practice, your recruiting situation, and two or three questions you genuinely cannot answer from the website.
I've spoken with two people in the office I want and both chats were useful. I could keep reaching out, but at some point it starts feeling like networking for the sake of networking. Is 2-3 solid conversations enough, or do people usually do way more?
Mayank G.CoachThere is no magic number of coffee chats. Two or three useful conversations can be enough if you already understand the office, recruiting process, and culture.
I had a good coffee chat with a consultant and they were genuinely helpful. I want to stay in touch, but I don't want every follow-up to sound like I'm fishing for a referral or asking for something. What does a normal follow-up cadence look like when you actually want to build the relationship?
Mayank G.CoachA good follow-up is tied to the conversation, not to a request. Send a short thank-you, mention one thing you found useful, and then only reach out again when you have a genuine update or relevant question.
Had a good coffee chat and the consultant ended with 'keep in touch'. They didn't mention a referral and I didn't ask because it felt too early. If we reconnect later, is it okay to ask directly or should I wait and see if they offer?
Mayank G.CoachDo not interpret 'keep in touch' as a hidden promise of a referral. It is an invitation to maintain the relationship, not necessarily to ask immediately.
I have an MBB networking call coming up and I feel weirdly underprepared because it is not an interview but it also does not feel casual. I do not want to waste the person’s time with generic questions they have answered 100 times. What do people actually talk about in these calls that makes the conversation useful and not awkward?
Mayank G.CoachThe best networking calls usually mix three things: a little bit of rapport, a few thoughtful questions about the person’s path or current work, and some targeted recruiting questions that genuinely help you make decisions.

I reached out to someone at an MBB office for a coffee chat, they opened the message, and then nothing. It has been a while and I cannot tell whether following up is normal or if that just makes me look annoying. Do people usually send one follow-up in this situation, or is being left on read basically a soft no?
Mayank G.CoachOne respectful follow-up is completely fine. Busy consultants miss messages all the time, and a short nudge after several days is normal professional behavior, not desperation.

I have a few consultant coffee chats scheduled and I keep defaulting to generic questions about culture and staffing. What questions actually help before applying without sounding like I copied a list from Google?
Mayank G.CoachAsk questions that help you make a decision or understand something you cannot learn from the firm's website.
I keep seeing LinkedIn optimization services claiming they can help people get noticed by MBB recruiters. Is there any real value in polishing LinkedIn for consulting recruiting, or is this mostly irrelevant compared with the actual resume and networking?
Mayank G.CoachA clean LinkedIn profile is useful because people you contact may look you up, but it is rarely the main reason an MBB candidate gets screened in.
Random question: does anyone actually network with consultants over golf anymore, or is that mostly old-school finance lore? If you genuinely play and someone at a firm invites you, is it useful or just an awkward four-hour coffee chat?
Mayank G.CoachIf both people genuinely enjoy golf, it can be a perfectly normal relationship-building setting. The activity itself is not a recruiting hack.
If McKinsey/BCG/Bain already recruit heavily at your school, how much extra networking is actually necessary? Is attending official events enough, or should you still be doing individual coffee chats before applying?
Mayank G.CoachAt a target school, you already have access that many candidates spend months trying to create. That means networking can be more selective.