Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I had a mock where the interviewer interrupted me halfway through the framework and started asking questions. I assumed that meant the structure was bad, but maybe they were just moving the case. How should I react if that happens in the real interview?
Mayank G.CoachFollow the interviewer and move on unless they ask you to finish the structure.
In a first-round case I said one number, and the interviewer repeated it back slightly differently before moving on. I was not sure whether to interrupt and correct them or assume I had heard wrong. What is the best way to handle a small factual mismatch like that?
Mayank G.CoachCorrect it politely if the difference could affect the analysis. It is better to clarify the number than let the case continue on a false premise.
I have no experience with any of the interview formats. For McKinsey, how can I best prepare for the interview?
Mayank G.CoachFirst make the McKinsey interview format familiar, then build the specific skills you need for the case and personal-experience portions.
In my first-round case, the interviewer gave me a few pieces of data and then asked where I wanted to go next instead of directing me. I chose a branch and we continued from there. Is that usually them testing ownership, or does it mean I missed an obvious direction?
Mayank G.CoachIt can simply be part of the case design. Being asked where to go next is an opportunity to show prioritization, not a reliable signal that you missed something.
At the end of my mock interviews I always ask for feedback, so I am used to doing it automatically. In an actual first-round interview, is it okay to ask the interviewer how I did, or does that put them in an awkward position?
Mayank G.CoachDo not ask the interviewer to evaluate your performance at the end of the real interview. Use the closing time for thoughtful questions about the firm, office, or their experience instead.
I had two R1 interviews. One felt strong across fit and case, the other was definitely rougher and I needed more help. Do firms average the two interviews, or can one weak one sink the whole round?
Mayank G.CoachMost firms evaluate the round using the combined evidence from the interviews rather than requiring every interview to be equally strong. A weaker interview does not automatically erase a strong one.
I get visibly nervous in the first few minutes and sometimes my voice shakes a bit. Part of me wants to just acknowledge it so I stop trying to hide it. Is that okay, or better to say nothing and just settle in?
Mayank G.CoachYou can acknowledge nerves briefly if it helps you reset, but you do not need to make it a feature of the interview. A simple comment such as 'I'm excited to be here' is often enough to normalize the energy.
My R1 interviewer was super neutral the whole time. No nodding, no 'good', basically no indication whether I was on track. I know I'm probably overthinking it, but is that just interviewer style or usually a sign the case wasn't going well?
Mayank G.CoachA neutral interviewer is very common. Some interviewers intentionally avoid signaling whether an answer is good or bad because they want to evaluate the candidate independently.
My R1 ended around 10 mins earlier than scheduled. We finished the case, had a bit of time for my questions, then wrapped. Is finishing early usually meaningless, or can it signal they already made up their mind?
Mayank G.CoachEnding early is not automatically negative. Some cases are shorter, some interviewers move quickly, and sometimes the candidate simply completes the required sections efficiently.
My first-round interview is in 3 days and math is still the weakest part of my casing. I can set up most equations, but I'm slower than I want and still make dumb arithmetic mistakes. With only 3 days left, should I drill math heavily or spend more time doing full cases?
Mayank G.CoachWith three days left, do not rebuild your entire case skill set. Focus on the math errors that are actually recurring and keep casing sharp with a small number of complete cases.
I needed a few nudges during the case and now I'm assuming that's a fail. None of the hints were huge, but there were definitely more than I wanted. How much interviewer guidance is still normal in R1?
Mayank G.CoachSome interviewer guidance is normal. Case interviews are interactive, and a nudge can redirect you, test whether you adapt, or simply move the case forward.
Just finished R1 and the case felt way easier than the practice cases I've been doing. Interviewer also didn't push me that much. Now I'm overthinking whether that means I missed something lol. Are some R1 cases genuinely straightforward?
Mayank G.CoachAn easy-feeling first round is not automatically a bad sign. Interview difficulty can vary by interviewer, office, case, and how naturally the problem fits your strengths.
My McKinsey interview is coming up soon. What should I focus on most?
Mayank G.CoachFor a McKinsey interview, focus on the areas that directly affect the interview score: structured problem solving, clear communication, accurate math, strong insights, and the Personal Experience Interview.
I know McKinsey is more interviewer-led, but I am confused about how passive you are supposed to be. Do you still suggest next steps, or mainly answer the question they ask and wait?
Mayank G.CoachInterviewer-led does not mean passive. You still need to show structured thinking, initiative, and judgment within the question you are given.
I can use profitability / market entry type frameworks, but when the case is unusual I struggle to build a clean MECE structure from scratch. How do people get good at this without memorizing 50 templates?
Mayank G.CoachStart from the decision the client needs to make, then identify the few questions that must be true or understood to make that decision.
Someone senior at BCG who I spoke with earlier sent me a quick 'good luck' note before my R1. Is that just being nice, or should I read it as a positive internal signal?
Mayank G.CoachIt is positive that they remembered you and chose to reach out, but do not convert that into an assumption about the interview outcome.
My BCG first round has three separate interviews on the schedule. I expected two. Is three interviews a bad sign, or just office-specific process?
Mayank G.CoachInterview counts can vary by office, role, and recruiting cycle. Three interviews in a round does not automatically mean anything negative.
When I am casing, sometimes I want to ask the interviewer for a number or detail that was not in the prompt. Is it okay to request additional information, or does that make it look like I cannot work with ambiguity?
Mayank G.CoachYes, you can ask for information when it is genuinely needed to test a hypothesis or move the analysis forward.
Sometimes I structure a case differently from the sample solution but my buckets still seem logical. In an MBB interview, is that okay or are they expecting a fairly specific structure?
Mayank G.CoachThere is rarely only one acceptable structure. Interviewers care whether your approach is logical, relevant to the question, and easy to follow.
My first-round interview is coming up and most of my prep has been solo. I know the frameworks and have done cases on my own, but I have only cased live with people a few times. How bad is that?
Mayank G.CoachSolo work can build knowledge, but live casing tests a different skill: thinking while someone interrupts, challenges assumptions, and changes direction.