Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
How can I prepare for a Bain consulting interview if my math skills are very weak?
Mayank G.CoachPrioritize the math fundamentals that actually appear in cases, then practice explaining your setup clearly under time pressure.

My formula was right, but I treated a cost reduction as negative and ended up with the opposite direction in the final number. I caught it when the interviewer questioned the result. How serious is that kind of error?
Sometimes the interviewer gives me a number or assumption directly, like average price or customer volume. I usually just plug it in. Should I ever question or sanity-check numbers that come from the interviewer?
Mayank G.CoachUse interviewer-provided information as given unless there is a clear inconsistency or you need clarification about what the number represents.
During a practice interview I set the calculation up correctly but made an arithmetic error, and the interviewer stepped in with the number so we could keep moving. If that happens in a real interview, is it basically fatal?
Mayank G.CoachNot automatically. One arithmetic mistake does not by itself determine the entire interview.
I sometimes realize after two or three steps that I mixed thousands and millions. When that happens in a mock I panic and restart from the beginning even if most of the setup is right. What is the cleanest way to recover in an interview?
Mayank G.CoachCorrect the unit at the point where the mistake occurred and restart only the affected part of the calculation.
I struggle with both math and structure in case interviews. How should I improve both?
Mayank G.CoachTrain math and structuring separately first, then combine them in full cases once each skill is becoming more reliable.
When the math is easy, I tend to just calculate and give the number. Some coaches tell me to always state the formula first, even for basic percentage questions. Does saying the setup every time help, or can it make a simple calculation feel overexplained?
Mayank G.CoachState the setup briefly when it helps the interviewer follow your logic, but you do not need to narrate every trivial arithmetic step.
I sometimes keep exact decimals all the way through a calculation because I am worried rounding will make the final answer wrong. Then the math gets slow and messy. Is there a good rule for when to round during a case versus when to keep the exact number?
Mayank G.CoachRound when it simplifies the calculation without materially changing the business conclusion. Keep more precision when the result is close to an important threshold or comparison.
My biggest math mistakes lately are not the calculation itself. It's mixing thousands and millions or forgetting whether something is monthly vs annual. What's a simple way to keep units straight without writing a ton?
Mayank G.CoachWrite the unit next to every important number and convert units deliberately before calculating. Do not rely on memory when thousands, millions, months, and years are mixed.
I waste time doing exact calculations even when an estimate would probably answer the business question. Then in other cases I estimate and worry it looks sloppy. What's the rule for when approximation is good enough?
Mayank G.CoachEstimate when an approximate answer is sufficient to make the business decision, especially when the inputs themselves are rough or the alternatives are far apart.
When I explain math out loud I either say too little or I start narrating every multiplication and division like a tutorial. What level of explanation actually sounds clear and senior?
Mayank G.CoachExplain the equation, the major inputs, and the meaning of the result. You do not need to narrate each multiplication or subtraction unless that step matters to the logic.
I usually get so relieved after finishing the calculation that I just say the number and move on. Then later I realize the answer was obviously too high or too low. What's the fastest sanity check you can do before presenting the number?
Mayank G.CoachUse a quick magnitude and unit check before presenting the answer. Ask whether the number is in the right order of magnitude and whether the units match what the question asked for.
The annoying part is my equation is usually correct, then I mess up something stupid like a percentage or one digit in multiplication. Do I need more mental math drills, slower checking, or a different way of writing the calc?
Mayank G.CoachIf the setup is right but arithmetic errors keep happening, slow down the mechanical part slightly and create a repeatable checking habit. Rushing a correct equation into a wrong answer wastes the strongest part of your work.
During case math I write almost every step because I'm scared of making a careless mistake. It keeps me organized, but it also makes simple calculations take forever. How much of the working should actually go on paper versus doing it mentally and only writing the key steps?
Mayank G.CoachWrite enough to make the setup and logic easy to audit, but you do not need to document every piece of arithmetic. The interviewer should be able to follow the equation and the important intermediate numbers.
In a mock case I started calculating, then realized the equation itself was wrong. I got flustered because I had already spent time explaining the setup to the interviewer. What's the best way to correct yourself in that situation without making the mistake look even worse?
Mayank G.CoachCorrect the setup as soon as you see the problem. A clean recovery is much better than continuing with a calculation you know is wrong.
I had BCG R1 recently and the whole case felt decent except for the math parts. I got to the right answers eventually, but I could tell I was slower than I should have been and the interviewer had to nudge me once or twice. Now I got rejected and I keep replaying that part in my head. Can slow math alone sink an otherwise okay case, or is it more likely there were other issues too? Trying to…
Mayank G.CoachSlow math can absolutely hurt your performance, but it is usually not the only thing the interviewer is evaluating. What often matters more is whether the slow math disrupted the flow of your thinking, your confidence, or the clarity of your communication.

My math is fine when I am alone, but in a McKinsey-style case I get slower because I am trying to calculate, talk, and figure out what the number means at the same time. What is the best way to approach the math so it stays clean under pressure? I feel like rn I either go too fast and make mistakes or too slow and kill the flow.
Mayank G.CoachThe best strategy is to make the calculation easy to follow before you make it fast. Start by stating what you are solving for, write the formula or relationship clearly, and then break the arithmetic into manageable steps.
I have gotten a few consulting interviews now and keep making it through parts of the process, but no offer yet. The recurring weak spot is math. I usually get there eventually, but I am slower and less confident than I am on structure or fit. I am trying to figure out whether that alone can explain the pattern or if I am probably missing something broader. Tbh it is getting frustrating because…
Mayank G.CoachCase math can absolutely be a meaningful weakness, but repeated interview failures are usually worth diagnosing more broadly. Slow or shaky math can affect much more than one calculation because it interrupts the pace of the case and can lower the interviewer’s confidence in your overall problem solving.
I have Bain interviews coming up and math is probably my weakest casing area. I am working on it, but how much should I realistically expect in the interview? Is it usually one main calculation or can math show up throughout the case?
Mayank G.CoachThere is no fixed amount of math you should expect in a Bain interview. Some cases may have one major quantitative section, while others can include several smaller calculations as the analysis develops.
Whenever I watch strong candidates or coaches do case math, the numbers seem to come out instantly. Meanwhile I am still trying to divide 84 by 12 without looking confused. Is everyone just naturally good at this, or is there a way people train it? I am fine on paper when I have time, but under pressure I get slow. Curious what actually helped people speed up.
Mayank G.CoachIt is mostly trained skill. Fast case-math candidates are not doing advanced math in their heads. They are using repeated shortcuts, rounding rules, and pattern recognition that reduce the number of steps.
