Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
A small consulting firm told me strong performers can be promoted after around nine months, which sounds much faster than larger firms. Is that a meaningful upside, or should I be skeptical of promotion timelines that are not very standardized?
Mayank G.CoachTreat nine months as a possibility, not a promise, until you understand the criteria and track record.
I have an offer from a small consulting firm that focuses heavily on one industry. I like the people but I do not see myself staying in that niche long term. If MBB is still the goal in a couple of years, can a specialized boutique role still help, or could it box me in?
Mayank G.CoachA specialized boutique role can still be useful for a later MBB move if the work gives you strong consulting skills, client exposure, and measurable impact.
I have an MBB offer but I am at a boutique rn where I actually like the people and have a lot of responsibility for my level. At MBB I would get the brand and probably better exits, but I am worried I will become a tiny part of a much bigger machine. Has anyone regretted leaving a good boutique for MBB? The obvious answer feels like take MBB, but I do not want to ignore what I already have.
Mayank G.CoachThis is a better decision than simply asking which firm is more prestigious. You are comparing two different career environments: one where you already have trust and responsibility, and another that may offer a stronger brand, broader network, and more standardized development.
I have a boutique offer and one reason I am considering it is because I think it could make me more competitive for MBB in 1-2 years. Is that a reasonable plan, or is using a firm as a stepping stone kinda the wrong way to think about it?
Mayank G.CoachIt is reasonable to think about future optionality, but I would not join a boutique that you do not actually want to work at just because you hope it leads to MBB later. There is no guaranteed conversion path.
I am considering a boutique consulting offer and wondering how transferable it is if I want to try for MBB later. The work is legit strategy work, but obviously the brand is much smaller.
Mayank G.CoachYes, boutique consulting experience can be a strong foundation for MBB, especially when the work gives you real exposure to structured problem solving, client communication, and ownership of analysis.