Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
Sometimes the interviewer pauses after a section and asks what I'm thinking so far. Should I give a recommendation even though we clearly haven't finished the case yet?
Mayank G.CoachYes. Give a provisional synthesis based on what you know so far.
My final recommendations usually include the answer, reasons and risks, but I struggle with unresolved questions. If the case never gave enough information on something important, should I explicitly say that in the recommendation?
Mayank G.CoachYes, if the unresolved point could materially change the decision.
My calculations are usually fine, but I keep ending with something like "so the answer is $25 million" and then waiting. I know I need a better 'so what.' What should I actually say after the math?
Mayank G.CoachTreat the number as evidence, not as the endpoint.
In some mocks the interviewer asks what I think before we have enough data to make a final recommendation. I either repeat everything we learned or hedge too much. How do you give a useful synthesis when the case is still incomplete?
Mayank G.CoachGive a provisional point of view based on what you know, then state the biggest remaining uncertainty.
My recommendations get weak whenever the case has unresolved risks. I end up saying 'it depends' and listing caveats until the actual recommendation disappears. How do you sound decisive without pretending the risks are not real?
Mayank G.CoachLead with the recommendation first, then explain the two or three reasons supporting it and the most important risk.

I had a case where two options were genuinely close and the data did not clearly make one the winner. My instinct was to recommend both depending on the client's risk tolerance, but I worry that sounds indecisive. Do you always need to pick one option at the end?
Mayank G.CoachYou should still give the client a clear point of view, but that point of view can be conditional when the evidence genuinely supports different choices under different priorities.
Some cases end with enough information to make a clear recommendation. Others feel like there are still big unknowns when the interviewer asks for the final answer. How do you sound decisive without pretending the uncertainty isn't there?
Mayank G.CoachMake the recommendation conditional where the evidence is incomplete. State the direction you would take based on what you know, then identify the most important uncertainty or risk.
I know I should summarize what we've learned during the case, but sometimes it feels too early to actually recommend anything. Is a mini-synthesis supposed to include a directional recommendation every time, or can it just update the hypothesis?
Mayank G.CoachA mini-synthesis does not always need a final recommendation. Early in the case, it can simply state what you learned, what it means for the hypothesis, and what you would analyze next.
I find synthesis easy when all the data points in one direction. I struggle when one exhibit supports the hypothesis and another pushes against it. How do you summarize mixed evidence without sounding indecisive?
Mayank G.CoachState the conclusion with the uncertainty included. One data point may support the hypothesis while another creates a risk or limits how strong the conclusion can be.
I can usually describe what the chart says, like sales dropped 15% or one segment is growing faster. Then I struggle with the 'so what'. What's the mental step between reading the exhibit correctly and saying something useful?
Mayank G.CoachMove from observation to implication. Ask what caused the pattern, why it matters for the objective, and what decision it should change.
My math and structure are usually fine, but at the end I basically repeat what we did instead of giving a sharp recommendation. It sounds more like a recap than an exec-level answer. What should I practice to make the final 60 seconds actually convincing?
Mayank G.CoachA strong recommendation answers the original question first, then gives the two or three pieces of evidence that matter most. Do not replay the entire case chronologically.
I know you're supposed to synthesize during the case, not just at the end. But when I try, I keep repeating the same 'so this is good/bad for the client' line. What makes a mid-case synthesis actually useful?
Mayank G.CoachA mini-synthesis should update the case, not repeat the last fact. State what you learned, what it means for the hypothesis, and what you would investigate next.
I can summarize at the end, but midway through a case my synthesis often turns into repeating every number we just calculated. What should a good mid-case synthesis actually include?
Mayank G.CoachA synthesis is not a recap of everything you did. It should state the answer so far, the evidence that matters, and what that implies for the next step.
Sometimes the case evidence points in different directions and I do not feel comfortable giving a strong yes/no recommendation. In an interview, is it okay to say the answer is uncertain?
Mayank G.CoachYes, as long as you still make a decision-oriented recommendation. Consulting often involves incomplete information.
My final recommendations are usually okay content-wise, but they feel too long and a bit messy. How do you make the ending sound sharper?
Mayank G.CoachA strong final recommendation is usually short, top-down, and decision-oriented. Start with the answer, support it with the two or three most important reasons, and then mention key risks or next steps if relevant.
I can usually get through the analysis itself, but I often stop at the numbers and forget to say what they actually mean. Any tips for building that habit?
Mayank G.CoachThe easiest habit is to force a short implication sentence after every meaningful piece of analysis. In other words, do not stop at what the data says. Add what that means for the client or for the next step in the case.