Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
The consultant willing to refer me is in healthcare, but I'm applying to a generalist role and interested in consumer work. They know me well. Is that still useful, or should I try to find someone closer to my target practice?
Mayank G.CoachA referral from someone who genuinely knows you can still be valuable even if they work in a different practice.
Someone offered to refer me but asked which office they should put down. I'm choosing between two cities and don't want the referral tied to the wrong one. Should I delay the referral until I'm certain?
Mayank G.CoachClarify how the referral is handled before delaying your application unnecessarily.
Two consultants I know independently both offered to refer me. They're at the same firm but different offices. Is there any benefit to having both submit something, or should I pick one person?
Mayank G.CoachUsually one strong referral is enough. Multiple referrals do not automatically stack into a stronger application.
A consultant already said yes to referring me, but I have made a few resume changes since we spoke. Is it better to send the final version before they submit anything, or does that create unnecessary back-and-forth?
Mayank G.CoachSend the final resume if the referrer has not submitted the referral yet.
Someone I spoke with offered to refer me and asked me to send a short blurb they can use. I've never done this before. What should actually go in it without making it sound like I wrote my own recommendation?
Mayank G.CoachMake the referrer's job easy: send a short factual summary they can adapt, not a glowing endorsement written in their voice.
A consultant referred me and I was rejected before interviews. They were helpful and I do not want them to hear nothing after putting their name behind me. Is it normal to update the referrer, or does that just make the situation awkward?
Mayank G.CoachYes. A short update is professional.
A consultant referred me a few weeks ago, but they have now left the firm. My application is still active and I am not sure whether their departure changes anything. Do I need to find another referral, or should the original one still stay attached?
Mayank G.CoachDo not assume the referral disappears just because the employee later leaves. If it was already submitted, the application record may still retain it.
I submitted my application first because the deadline was close. A consultant then offered to refer me and submitted it afterward. Does that referral normally still help, or is it basically too late once the application is already in the system?
Mayank G.CoachIt may still be useful, but the exact handling depends on the firm's recruiting system and where your application is in the process.
Someone at the firm offered to do a quick call tomorrow before deciding whether to refer me. I assume it's informal, but I don't want to show up unprepared. What should I be ready to explain in a referral call like this?
Mayank G.CoachTreat the referral call like a short professional conversation. Be ready to explain your background, why consulting, why the firm, and why the specific office or role.
The application closes in 4 days. I've reached out to a couple people but nobody has offered a referral yet, and I don't want to miss the deadline waiting. Would you submit now, or give networking another day or two first?
Mayank G.CoachDo not risk missing the deadline for a referral that may never materialize. A strong on-time application is more important than waiting until the last possible moment.
I have a loose connection at an MBB firm who said they'd be willing to refer me after one conversation. We had a good chat but obviously they don't know my work deeply. Does that kind of referral still help, or is it better to wait for someone who can actually speak to my background?
Mayank G.CoachA referral from a weak connection can still help route or flag an application, but its credibility is naturally lower than a referral from someone who genuinely knows your work.
I had one good chat with someone at the firm and they were friendly, but I don't know if asking for a referral now would make the whole conversation feel transactional. Is there any downside to asking early, or worst case they just say no?
Mayank G.CoachAsking very early can make the interaction feel transactional, but it usually does not damage a strong application by itself. The bigger issue is whether the person has enough basis to advocate for you.
A consultant submitted a referral for me about two weeks ago. I got the automated confirmation but nothing from recruiting since then. Would you follow up with the recruiter, ask the person who referred me, or just wait because 2 weeks isn't unusual?
Mayank G.CoachTwo weeks without a recruiter response is not automatically unusual, especially during busy recruiting periods. A referral can enter the same screening queue as other applications.
I have a strong referral from someone in one MBB office, but my actual first-choice office is somewhere else. Does it weaken the referral if I apply to a different location? I do not want to pick an office just to match the referrer if I have a much better personal reason for another city.
Mayank G.CoachApply to the office that genuinely fits you. A referral should support the candidate, not force you into the referrer's location.
I submitted my BCG application and then someone offered to refer me. Is it too late for the referral to matter, or can employees / recruiting attach it afterward?
Mayank G.CoachIt may still be possible, depending on the recruiting system and whether your application is already being reviewed.
I had one call with someone at McKinsey and they offered to refer me. Obviously I appreciate it, but does a referral from someone who barely knows you actually help much?
Mayank G.CoachA referral is strongest when the person can credibly explain why they recommend you. A weak connection may still create visibility, but the signal is naturally limited.
Someone at Bain offered to refer me and I am not sure what happens after they submit it. Does the referral guarantee a recruiter review, or is it basically just another data point on the application?
Mayank G.CoachA Bain referral can help give your application internal context, but it does not guarantee an interview.
If someone refers you after you already found the normal application portal, should you submit both ways? I am worried about creating duplicate applications.
Mayank G.CoachDo not create duplicate applications unless the firm's instructions explicitly require it.
If a BCG consultant agrees to refer you, what should you expect next? Do you get a special application link, or does the employee submit something after you apply?
Mayank G.CoachThe exact workflow can change by office and recruiting platform, so follow the instructions sent by the employee or recruiting team.
Someone at BCG said they referred me, but I never got a separate referral email. Is there usually a confirmation, or do you just apply normally and trust that it is attached internally?
Mayank G.CoachReferral mechanics can vary by firm and recruiting system. Some candidates receive a referral link or confirmation; in other cases the employee action happens internally.