Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I ran a small startup for several years and now I'm considering consulting. I'm worried recruiters will assume I won't like structure or that I'll leave quickly to start something again. How should I position the founder background?
Mayank G.CoachFounder experience can be a strong consulting signal if you translate it into the skills the role needs.
I'm at a smaller company where titles are inflated. My title is Director, but I don't manage a big team and I'm probably applying at the consultant level. How do I avoid looking either overqualified or misleading?
I'm interviewing as an experienced hire and the recruiter said the firm may decide my exact level after the interviews. Does that mean I should prepare differently or try to prove I'm ready for the higher title?
Mayank G.CoachPrepare to demonstrate the strongest version of your actual experience rather than trying to perform a particular title.
I'm an experienced hire and some practice cases overlap directly with my industry. I'm never sure whether using real-world knowledge makes me look stronger or whether I should stay strictly inside the case facts. What's the better approach?
Mayank G.CoachUse your industry knowledge as context, not as a substitute for solving the case in front of you.
My experience seems to sit between two levels. I could probably make a case for manager, but I would also consider consultant if that is how the firm maps me. Is it smart to apply to both postings, or does that make me look unsure of my level?
Mayank G.CoachUsually it is better to apply through the most appropriate route and let recruiting calibrate level rather than submitting duplicate applications.
One weakness in my profile is that I do not have direct reports. I do manage several external vendors and coordinate work across teams, though. Does that count as leadership evidence for experienced-hire consulting applications?
Mayank G.CoachYes. Leadership can come from influence and ownership, not only direct reports.
My company uses titles that are much flatter than most firms. My official title sounds fairly junior, but I manage major clients and lead people with more impressive titles elsewhere. I worry recruiters will underestimate my level before reading the bullets.
Mayank G.CoachKeep the official title accurate, then use the resume and application context to make the scope of your role unmistakable.
I have worked in the same industry as a few cases I am practicing. Sometimes I know things that are not stated in the prompt, and I am not sure whether using that knowledge makes me look experienced or like I am making assumptions. How should experienced hires handle this?
Mayank G.CoachUse your industry knowledge as context, not as hidden case data. Make your reasoning clear and separate what the case gives you from what you know from experience.
I'm recruiting after several years in industry and my fit answers are solid but not super polished. I keep hearing that experienced hires are expected to sound more senior. Is the fit bar actually higher, or is it mostly the same criteria?
Mayank G.CoachExperienced hires are often expected to communicate with more maturity because they have more professional experience, but the core fit criteria are still similar: leadership, teamwork, impact, motivation, and self-awareness.
My current title sounds pretty senior, but the consulting role I'm applying for is still an experienced-hire individual contributor level. How do I explain the move without making it sound like I'm stepping backward or expecting special treatment?
Mayank G.CoachFrame the move around the type of work and development you want, not around title equivalence. Senior industry titles do not map cleanly to consulting levels.
I have a decent set of leadership and conflict stories, but I'm not sure how much to customize them for McKinsey, BCG, and Bain. Do experienced hires need firm-specific stories, or mostly the same core examples with different emphasis?
Mayank G.CoachThe same core stories can work across firms. You do not need three completely different inventories of experiences.
I have 7+ years of work experience, so there are a lot of possible stories. Some of my strongest leadership examples are actually from a few years ago. Do interviewers expect mostly recent examples, or is older experience fine if the story is better?
Mayank G.CoachUse the strongest examples, not automatically the newest ones. A story from several years ago is fine if it shows meaningful leadership, conflict, impact, or growth and you can discuss it with detail.
I'm flexible on location and there are 2 offices where my background could fit. I don't want to look unfocused or create some internal conflict by applying to both. For experienced hire recruiting, is it better to pick one office or can you apply to multiple?
Mayank G.CoachYou can often express interest in multiple offices, but the exact process varies by firm and geography. Avoid submitting duplicate applications blindly if the recruiting system expects one location preference.
I'm applying as an experienced hire after several years in industry. My case mechanics are getting better, but I'm wondering whether interviewers expect more mature commercial judgment from someone with work experience. Is the case bar actually different for experienced hires, or mostly the same skills with higher expectations on communication?
Mayank G.CoachThe core case skills are similar, but experienced hires are often expected to bring more mature communication, commercial judgment, and comfort with senior stakeholders.
I've spent several yrs in one industry and know the sector well, but my role has been more ops than strategy. I'm looking at experienced-hire consulting roles now. Should I lean heavily on industry knowledge, or will firms care more about transferable problem solving + client skills?
Mayank G.CoachYour industry expertise is valuable, but it should not be the entire story. Consulting firms still need evidence that you can structure ambiguous problems, communicate with stakeholders, and learn quickly outside your narrow specialty.
I am in surgery now, several years into the career, and lately I have been seriously thinking about consulting. A big part of it is lifestyle and long-term flexibility, but I also genuinely enjoy problem solving, systems thinking, and the business side of healthcare. The part I cannot tell is whether this is a realistic move or just me romanticizing a pivot. I know firms hire MDs, but I have no…
Mayank G.CoachIt is realistic, but only if you approach it strategically. Consulting firms do value physicians, especially when you can demonstrate structured problem solving, stakeholder management, resilience, and a credible interest in business problems beyond clinical work.

I keep seeing ‘experienced hire’ used for people with wildly different backgrounds. Some have 2 years of work experience, others have 10+. Is there a point where firms generally stop treating you like an early-career candidate and move you into the experienced-hire bucket? I have about 3 years rn and I am not sure which recruiting path I should even be looking at.
Mayank G.CoachThere is no single years-of-experience cutoff that works across every firm, office, and role. ‘Experienced hire’ is a recruiting category, not one universal seniority level.
I have an interview with BCG coming up, and the thing stressing me out most is that I do not really come from a business background. My experience is strong academically, but I never worked in anything that looks like corporate strategy, finance, or consulting. For people who made it through anyway, what mattered most? Is this mostly a casing problem, or do interviewers expect you to already…
Mayank G.CoachA non-business background does not automatically hurt you. Firms routinely interview candidates from science, medicine, law, and other fields. The key question is whether you can think in a structured, business-relevant way during the interview.

For people who applied to MBB as experienced hires, did you still go through the normal case + behavioral rounds? I have heard everything from recruiter screens plus two rounds to role-specific interviews with senior experts, so I am trying to understand what to expect.
Mayank G.CoachThere is no single experienced-hire process across every office and role. A generalist candidate may go through a process that looks very similar to standard consulting recruiting, while a specialist or expert candidate may also meet people from the relevant practice.
I have been working as an automotive engineer for about six years, mostly on product development and cross-functional launch programs. I am getting more interested in strategy and would like to move into MBB or a strong Tier 2 firm. My concern is that I have no MBA and no formal consulting experience. Has anyone made a similar move, and what would I need to prove to have a realistic shot?
Mayank G.CoachYes, the move is realistic, but the application has to translate your engineering background into business impact. Firms are less concerned with whether your title says strategy and more concerned with whether you have solved ambiguous problems, influenced stakeholders, and delivered measurable outcomes.