Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
One of my strongest projects is confidential and I can't name the client or exact numbers. Can I still use it on my resume, and how specific should I be?
I realized after submitting that I uploaded an older resume with one outdated bullet and an old job title. The rest is basically the same. Is it worth emailing recruiting with the corrected file, or does that draw more attention to the mistake?
Mayank G.CoachIf the outdated version contains a material factual error, send the corrected resume.
I have about eight years of full-time experience and my resume is getting crowded. My internships were relevant at the time but now feel pretty minor. Is it okay to remove them entirely for consulting recruiting?
Mayank G.CoachYes. Once you have substantial full-time experience, older internships can usually disappear unless they add something uniquely relevant.
My current industry resume starts with a three-line professional summary. When I look at consulting resumes, many seem to go straight into education and experience. Is a summary useful for an experienced hire, or is it usually wasted space?
Mayank G.CoachA summary is optional, and many consulting resumes are stronger without one.
I submitted my application a few weeks ago and just got promoted at work. My interview is already scheduled. Is it worth sending an updated resume now, or should I just mention the promotion during the interview?
Mayank G.CoachYes, a meaningful promotion is a reasonable reason to send an updated resume, especially if it changes your title, scope or level of responsibility.
I was promoted twice in about 18 months, but each title only lasted a few months. Listing every title separately makes the resume look cluttered. Can I group them under one company and show the progression another way?
Mayank G.CoachYes. Group the roles under one employer as long as the progression remains clear and accurate.
One project had two genuinely important outcomes: it increased revenue and also reduced the time needed for a process. I can fit both numbers into one bullet, but it starts to feel crowded. Is it better to keep both impacts or choose the stronger one?
Mayank G.CoachUse both impacts only if the bullet remains easy to understand. Clarity matters more than squeezing every positive result into one line.
One of my best leadership examples is a project that did not ultimately hit its target because the company changed direction. I still led a large team and solved a lot of difficult problems. Is it risky to put a failed project on a consulting resume if the result was not positive?
Mayank G.CoachYou can include it if the bullet shows meaningful ownership and a concrete result, even if the overall project did not reach its original goal.
My strongest work example is from a confidential client project. I can describe what I did, but I am worried that putting the client's name or exact numbers on my resume would cross a line. How do experienced candidates show impact when the details are sensitive?
Mayank G.CoachYou can show the scale and impact without naming the client or disclosing confidential figures. Protecting confidential information is more important than making the bullet overly specific.
I have one project with a lot of useful context and measurable impact, but the bullet is turning into almost three lines. Cutting it makes the result less clear. Is a longer bullet okay occasionally, or should every bullet stay very short?
Mayank G.CoachOne longer bullet can be acceptable if it is genuinely the strongest accomplishment, but every extra word should earn its place. Recruiters still need to scan the page quickly.
I have around 8 years of experience and my earliest jobs are taking up a lot of space even though the recent roles are much more relevant. How aggressively can I compress older experience without making the career history look incomplete?
Mayank G.CoachGive most of the space to the roles that best demonstrate your current level and consulting-relevant impact. Older jobs can often be compressed to company, title, dates, and one strong bullet or even no bullets if they are no longer material.
I was promoted twice at the same company. If I split each title into a separate role, it takes a lot of space. If I combine them, the progression is less obvious. What's the cleanest way to show promotions on a one-page consulting resume?
Mayank G.CoachShow the progression clearly without consuming unnecessary space. You can keep one company heading and list the titles and dates underneath it, then use the bullets for the most important accomplishments across the period.
I'm trying to quantify impact, but a few of my strongest projects don't have a clean revenue or cost number. Forcing a metric into every bullet starts looking fake. Is it okay to have strong bullets without numbers, or should I keep digging for some form of quantification?
Mayank G.CoachNumbers are powerful when they demonstrate scale, impact, or performance, but not every strong bullet needs a forced metric. A fake or trivial number can make the bullet weaker.
I normally put bullets in chronological order, but my strongest impact bullet is from later in the role. Someone told me the best bullet should always go first. For consulting resumes, should bullets be ordered by impact instead of timeline?
Mayank G.CoachLead with the strongest and most relevant bullet, not necessarily the earliest event in the job. Recruiters scan quickly, so the first bullet should establish your level of impact.
I accepted a role that starts in a couple months, but I'm also applying for consulting now. The incoming job is relevant and probably stronger than one older experience on my CV. Would you list it as incoming, or does that look weird since I haven't actually done the job yet?
Mayank G.CoachYou can list an incoming role if it is confirmed and relevant, but label it clearly as incoming with the expected start date. Do not write bullets that imply you have already done work there.
I have a bit over 6 years of experience and getting everything onto one page means cutting projects that are still relevant. Two pages feels more natural, but I know consulting resumes are usually very tight. For experienced hires, is one page still strongly preferred or is a clean two-page CV acceptable?
Mayank G.CoachFor most consulting applications, one page is still the cleanest default because recruiters scan quickly and want the strongest evidence rather than a complete career history.
What do consulting firms actually look for in a resume?
Mayank G.CoachConsulting firms usually look for a combination of strong academics, relevant experience, leadership, and evidence that you can create impact. The resume does not need to be filled with famous company names, but each experience should show what you actually did and what changed because of your work.
My resume bullets are accurate but they still read like job descriptions. I keep writing things like 'supported analysis' or 'worked with stakeholders' and it feels weak. What is the best way to turn normal work experience into bullets that actually show consulting-style impact without exaggerating?
Mayank G.CoachStart each bullet with the outcome or ownership, not the task. The recruiter should quickly see what changed because of your work.
I am applying to MBB from industry and none of my job titles sound remotely like consulting. What should I emphasize so the recruiter sees transferable skills instead of just a totally unrelated background?
Mayank G.CoachFocus on the work patterns consulting firms value: solving ambiguous problems, analyzing data, influencing stakeholders, leading teams, and producing measurable outcomes.
I have revised my resume a bunch, but I am worried there are still obvious consulting-specific mistakes I am not seeing because I have stared at it too long. What are the most common things that make an MBB resume weaker than it should be?
Mayank G.CoachThe most common problems are usually not dramatic. They are things like vague bullets, weak action verbs, unclear impact, too much text, inconsistent formatting, and content that feels impressive only if someone already knows the context.
