Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I finished my final round and the recruiter emailed asking if I have 10 minutes for a call later today. They didn't say what it's about. Is that usually how offers are delivered, or can rejection calls look the same?
Mayank G.CoachIt can be either, so do not treat the request for a call as confirmation of an offer.
I haven't finished the interview process yet, but recruiting asked me to send two professional references. I assumed references would come after an offer. Is this just part of their process, or does it mean anything about where I stand?
Mayank G.CoachSome firms collect references before the final decision, so the timing alone is not a reliable signal.
I already submitted my application and a recruiter just asked me to send my transcript separately. My GPA is on the resume, so I'm wondering whether this means they saw something they want to investigate. Is this usually just an admin step?
Mayank G.CoachUsually, no. A transcript request by itself is not a negative signal.
A recruiter asked me which other consulting firms I'm currently interviewing with. I have a few processes moving at different speeds, but I don't really want to give them a full list. How specific should I be without sounding evasive?
Mayank G.CoachBe truthful, but you do not need to provide a detailed play-by-play of every recruiting process unless you want to.
I had an initial recruiter call and the first real question was why I wanted to leave my current role. They did not ask why consulting until later. It made me wonder if my resume looks like I am trying to escape something. Should I read into that?
Mayank G.CoachNo. This is a common transition question, especially for experienced hires.
I am new to consulting recruitment and feel like I need to prepare a lot. How should I organize myself to get interviews?
Mayank G.CoachSeparate the problem into getting your application ready, building relevant connections, and preparing for the selection steps that can follow.
I had an initial recruiter call and they asked about salary expectations before we even discussed interviews. I do not want to price myself out, but I also do not want to give a number that is too low. What is the best way to handle this in consulting recruiting?
Mayank G.CoachYou can answer without locking yourself into a precise number before you understand the role, level, and compensation structure.
I need help getting shortlisted by other consulting firms. What should I focus on before applying?
Mayank G.CoachFocus on the parts of your profile and application that give recruiters clear evidence of academic strength, impact, leadership, and fit for the role.
On an initial recruiter call I was asked what other consulting firms I am currently interviewing with. I did not want to sound secretive, but I also was not sure whether I should name every firm and stage. How much detail is normal to give when a recruiter asks this?
Mayank G.CoachYou can answer truthfully without giving a complete list of every firm and every stage unless you are comfortable doing so.
This is confusing me. I have gotten interviews at MBB more than once, but several smaller strategy boutiques reject me at the resume stage. I assumed boutiques would be easier to get into, so now I am wondering if my application is somehow badly targeted. My background is pretty generalist and the resume is the same core version everywhere, with some small edits. MBB recruiters seem to like it,…
Mayank G.CoachRecruiting selectivity is not a single ladder where every boutique is automatically easier than every MBB office. Smaller firms may hire very few people and can be much more specific about industry, geography, or prior experience.
A BCG recruiting director reached out for a short coffee chat before interviews. Is this basically a recruiter screen that I should prepare like an interview, or is it actually informal?
Mayank G.CoachTreat it as a professional conversation even if it is described as a coffee chat. Recruiting may be checking interest, fit, timing, location, or simply building the candidate relationship.
I am seeing people mention BCG recruiter coffee chats before interview invites. Does every office do this, or should I read anything into not getting one?
Mayank G.CoachDo not assume every office runs the exact same pre-interview process. Recruiting practices can differ by geography, school, candidate type, and cycle.
I have a recruiter screen scheduled before the formal interviews. What should I expect them to ask, and can people actually get cut at this stage?
Mayank G.CoachA recruiter screen usually confirms the basics: your background, motivation, role level, location, timing, work authorization, and any application questions.
If you have a genuine question about recruiting, is email still the best way to reach an MBB recruiter? I have found the recruiter's name but do not want to send a random LinkedIn essay.
Mayank G.CoachEmail is usually a good option when you have a legitimate, specific recruiting question and a relevant recruiter contact.
I am an international student and have a recruiter call with an MBB office. I am eligible to work for a period after graduation but would eventually need sponsorship. Should I proactively explain the visa situation, or wait for the recruiter to ask? I do not want to create confusion, but I also do not want it to look like I hid something.
Mayank G.CoachAnswer work-authorization questions accurately and directly. If the recruiter asks whether you currently or eventually require sponsorship, give the factual answer.
A McKinsey recruiter reached out about a role even though I had not applied. Is that a strong signal that I am likely to get interviews, or is recruiter sourcing much broader than that?
Mayank G.CoachRecruiter outreach is a positive signal that something in your background matched what they are looking for, but it is not the same as passing the full interview screen.
I have a BCG recruiter coffee chat coming up and I am not sure what they are looking for. Is it mostly motivation and office fit, or can this actually decide whether I get an interview?
Mayank G.CoachAssume the conversation can influence the recruiter's view of your candidacy even if it is not a formal scored interview.
A recruiter reached out and set up a screening call, and I am trying not to overread it. Part of me is excited because it feels like movement, but I also know it is not an interview yet. How should I think about these calls? Is it mostly logistical, or are they already evaluating pretty hard?
Mayank G.CoachA recruiter screening call is a positive sign, but it is not an offer signal on its own. You should treat it as an early evaluation step that can still matter quite a bit.
