Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
My GPA looks average compared with candidates from other schools, but my program is known for harsh grading and very few people graduate with high marks. Should I try to explain that in the application, or will recruiters already understand the school context?
Mayank G.CoachGive brief factual context if it materially changes how the GPA should be interpreted.
My school does not issue a normal GPA. We get written evaluations and a few broad performance categories instead. A lot of consulting applications ask for GPA, and I do not want to invent an equivalent number. What should I put when the system expects one?
Mayank G.CoachDo not invent a GPA conversion unless your university provides an official method. Use the application instructions or recruiter guidance for schools that do not issue a standard GPA.
People throw around 'target school' constantly. Is there a real list for MBB, or does it just mean schools where the firms recruit on campus and hire consistently?
Mayank G.CoachTarget status is better understood as recruiting access and historical hiring strength than as one universal published list.
I am considering an MBA partly because I missed the MBB recruiting path earlier. The degree would help my career more broadly, but if I am honest, getting access to structured MBB recruiting is a big part of the appeal. Is that a reasonable reason to do an MBA, or way too expensive/risky if MBB is the main target?
Mayank G.CoachAn MBA can create a powerful recruiting reset, but it is too expensive to justify solely on the assumption that MBB will work out.
If two candidates have similar experience and interview ability, how much can school prestige move the needle for MBB screening? Is it a major factor or mostly about access to the recruiting pipeline?
Mayank G.CoachSchool can matter because it affects access, recruiter familiarity, and the density of candidates the firm evaluates each year.
If consulting is a major goal, what should matter most when comparing graduate programs: school brand, MBB placement numbers, location, alumni network, or something else?
Mayank G.CoachStart with actual consulting placement, not brand perception alone.