Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
The part I find confusing about sponsored MBAs is what happens if someone returns to the firm but leaves before completing the required service period. Is repayment usually all-or-nothing, or can it be prorated?
Mayank G.CoachThe answer depends on the actual sponsorship agreement.
If your firm is sponsoring your MBA and expects you to return afterward, are you basically locked out of recruiting with another consulting firm? I am not planning to break any agreement, but I am curious how much flexibility people actually have while they are in school.
Mayank G.CoachYour sponsorship agreement should be treated as the source of truth. Do not assume you are free to recruit elsewhere if the firm is funding the MBA in exchange for a return commitment.
I am at an MBB firm and potentially eligible for MBA sponsorship. On paper it sounds amazing: school paid for, then return to the firm. But I am not sure how much flexibility you give up by taking the sponsorship. If I end up wanting tech, PE ops, startup, or something else after business school, I assume the repayment or return obligation can become expensive. On the other hand, paying for an…
Mayank G.CoachTreat sponsorship as a financial package tied to a career commitment, not as free tuition. The value is substantial, but part of that value is compensation for giving the firm a high probability that you return.
If your firm pays for your MBA, how strict is the return requirement afterward? I understand you generally have to come back, but I am unclear on how long you need to stay and what happens if you leave early. Is the repayment usually full tuition, prorated, or completely firm-specific?
Mayank G.CoachThe return obligation is contractual, so the exact answer depends on the sponsorship agreement you sign. Common structures require you to return for a defined period and repay some or all of the sponsorship if you leave before completing it.
How do McKinsey, BCG, and Bain decide who gets MBA sponsorship? Is it basically automatic once you hit a certain tenure, or is it selective based on performance, office needs, and whether the firm expects you to return?
Mayank G.CoachMBA sponsorship is usually not automatic. Eligibility often depends on tenure, performance, office policy, and whether you are in good standing when you apply.