Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I failed one course early in university and retook it later with a strong grade. The failure still appears on the transcript, even though my later academic record is much better. Is that something I should proactively explain in consulting applications?
Mayank G.CoachExplain it only if the application asks for academic context or the course materially changes how your record will be interpreted.
I'm applying to consulting with almost a decade of experience. My undergraduate GPA was fine but not amazing, and it feels strange to keep emphasizing a number from that long ago. Do firms still expect it on the resume?
Mayank G.CoachYour work record should carry far more weight after eight or ten years, but whether to list GPA can still depend on the application instructions and recruiting channel.
My first year of university was rough, but my grades improved a lot after that and my final two years are much stronger. The cumulative GPA still does not look great at first glance. Do consulting recruiters care about the upward trend, or do they mostly screen on the overall number?
Mayank G.CoachAn upward academic trend can help provide context, but it does not erase the cumulative GPA. Recruiters can consider both the overall result and how your performance changed over time.
My cumulative GPA is okay but not great, while my major GPA is much stronger because I improved once I got into the courses I actually cared about. Is it useful to show both, or does listing the major GPA look like I am trying to hide the overall number?
Mayank G.CoachYou can include a major GPA as additional context if you also report the cumulative GPA accurately where required.
My overall GPA is decent, but my strongest grades are in finance, stats, and economics. A few non-core classes pull the average down. Do consulting recruiters look at the transcript in that much detail, or mainly the overall number?
Mayank G.CoachThe overall GPA is usually the fastest screening signal, but recruiters may also look at the transcript when they want more context.
My overall GPA is okay, but I have one semester where grades dropped a lot because of personal circumstances. Rest of transcript recovered after that. Should I explain it somewhere in the application, or just leave it unless recruiter asks?
Mayank G.CoachIf the bad semester is an isolated period and the rest of the transcript recovered, you usually do not need to turn the application into an explanation of the setback unless there is a place specifically asking for context.
I am at a non-target university and have a strong college GPA, but my SAT was 1370. I keep seeing people say MBB screens heavily for school brand and test scores, so I am wondering whether I am already fighting two major negatives. I have leadership experience, a good internship, and I have started networking with alumni at a few offices. I am willing to put in the work, but I also want to be…
Mayank G.CoachYou are facing a harder path, but neither a non-target school nor a 1370 SAT makes the outcome predetermined. The bigger issue is that you may have fewer built-in recruiting opportunities, so you need stronger evidence elsewhere and a more proactive way to get noticed.
I am considering transferring universities and one thing I am worried about is consulting recruiting. If I move from a less-known school to a stronger program, will MBB care that I started somewhere else or mainly judge the school and GPA I have when I apply?
Mayank G.CoachA transfer by itself is not a negative. Recruiters will mainly care about the record you present when you apply: your current school, academic performance, experiences, leadership, and overall trajectory.
Is there any meaningful difference between McKinsey, BCG, and Bain on GPA screening? I keep hearing that one firm is more flexible than another, but the answer changes depending on who I ask. If your GPA is below the typical target-school average but the rest of your profile is strong, is it worth prioritizing one of the three?
Mayank G.CoachI would not build your application strategy around the idea that one MBB firm is consistently the 'low GPA firm.' Screening practices vary by office, school, recruiting channel, and year, so a reputation you hear from one candidate may not transfer to your situation.
Curious what people have actually seen in practice. I know there is no official universal cutoff, but what is the lowest GPA you have seen still get an MBB interview? I am less interested in one-off miracle stories and more in whether there is a point where the GPA becomes so low that even strong internships, leadership, or referrals usually cannot overcome it.
Mayank G.CoachThere is no useful universal number because GPA is interpreted in context. A 3.4 from one program may be viewed differently from a 3.4 in another, and firms also consider course rigor, work experience, leadership, office demand, and the strength of the applicant pool.
Once MBB invites you to interview, is GPA basically irrelevant from that point on? I have a lower GPA than most candidates I know, so I am wondering whether interview performance can fully reset the evaluation or whether academics still sit in the background.
Mayank G.CoachGetting the interview is an important signal: the firm has already decided your application is strong enough to evaluate further. From that point, case and behavioral performance become much more important because they provide direct evidence of how you think and communicate.
If someone has strong internships, leadership, and networking but a noticeably lower GPA, how do MBB recruiters usually weigh that? Is a low GPA mainly a screening risk, or does it continue to hurt even if the rest of the profile is strong?
Mayank G.CoachA lower GPA is usually most dangerous at the screening stage because recruiters have limited time and need evidence of academic and analytical ability. The further your GPA sits below the normal range for your school, the stronger the other evidence needs to be.
Some consulting applications still ask for SAT or ACT scores, which feels strange once you are already in college. Do those scores meaningfully affect MBB screening, or are they mostly an extra data point behind GPA, internships, and leadership?
Mayank G.CoachStandardized scores can be one data point, especially when a firm requests them directly, but they are not evaluated in isolation. Recruiters have much more recent evidence from your university record, internships, leadership, and achievements.
My profile feels kind of in-between: decent GPA, some leadership, and a good internship, but nothing that looks crazy impressive on paper. Is MBB internship recruiting basically only for people with near-perfect academics and brand-name experience, or can a balanced profile still get through?
Mayank G.CoachMBB internship pools are very competitive, but there is no single perfect profile. Recruiters are looking for a combination of academic ability, achievement, leadership, problem solving, and evidence that you have made an impact.
I am a university student preparing for consulting recruiting and noticed some applications ask for older academic information. Do MBB firms actually care about high school grades once you already have a university GPA and internships, or is it mostly a formality?
Mayank G.CoachUniversity performance is normally much more relevant than high school grades once you are recruiting from college. High school results may still appear on an application in some markets, but they are usually only one small part of a much newer academic and professional record.
I have a 3.9 GPA at USC with solid extracurriculars and one relevant internship. I know MBB recruiting is competitive, but at this point is GPA something I should stop worrying about and focus more on networking, resume quality, and interview prep?
Mayank G.CoachA 3.9 is already a strong academic signal. At that level, improving your candidacy is much more likely to come from the rest of the application than from trying to squeeze out another small GPA increase.