Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I need to practice BCG's quantitative reasoning test. How should I prepare, and how similar are practice tests to the real BCG QRT?
Mayank G.CoachUse QRT-style practice to build the underlying numerical reasoning skills, but do not assume a practice test will match the live assessment question for question.
The assessment I received has multiple sections and each one seems to have its own timer. I cannot tell whether I am expected to complete the entire thing in one sitting or whether I can take a break between sections. Is the separate timer a sign that breaks are allowed?
Mayank G.CoachDo not infer break rules from the timer layout alone. Follow the assessment instructions and platform guidance explicitly.
The practice questions I found online assume you can use a calculator, but the actual assessment instructions say not to. I am worried I practiced the wrong way. Should I keep using the calculator while preparing for speed, or switch completely to manual calculations now?
Mayank G.CoachFollow the rules of the actual assessment, not the assumptions in third-party practice material. Your preparation should match the conditions you will face on test day.
There are tons of generic numerical-reasoning tests online, but they don't always look much like consulting OAs. Still worth doing for speed + accuracy, or better to spend almost all prep time on the firm-specific format?
Mayank G.CoachGeneric numerical-reasoning tests can help with underlying skills such as percentages, ratios, chart reading, and working accurately under time pressure. They are useful when those fundamentals are weak.
How can I improve my performance across different consulting online assessments?
Mayank G.CoachAcross online assessments, the transferable skills are usually numerical reasoning, logical reasoning, reading accuracy, prioritization, and staying composed under time pressure. You can also review the different formats in our consulting online assessment guides.
I heard from someone that a strong referral can sometimes help you skip parts of the process, but I cannot tell if that is actually true or just recruiting mythology. Specifically wondering about McKinsey Solve. If you have a referral, do you still get Solve like everyone else? And if yes, does the referral help at all beyond getting you to that stage?
Mayank G.CoachIn most cases, a referral does not let you skip McKinsey Solve. Solve is usually a standard part of the process, and referrals are far more likely to influence application visibility than to remove required assessment steps.

For Solve / Casey / Bain assessments, are we talking a few hours to understand the format or multiple weeks of serious prep? I do not want to underprepare, but I also have case interviews to work on. How would you split time if the assessment is in about 10 days?
Mayank G.CoachYou need enough preparation to understand the format and eliminate avoidable mistakes, but online assessments should not consume your entire interview-prep schedule.
I have a Bain online assessment coming up and keep seeing SOVA and TestGorilla mentioned. What should I actually practice so I am not just doing random aptitude questions?
Mayank G.CoachStart by confirming which assessment your office is using, because Bain's testing format can differ by geography and recruiting cycle.
I might get Solve soon and I do not have a huge prep window. There is a lot of advice online, but I cannot tell what is actually worth spending time on versus what is just noise. If you only had maybe a week or two, what would you focus on most for McKinsey Solve?
Mayank G.CoachIf time is short, prioritize familiarity with the format, decision speed, and staying calm under imperfect information. Solve is not just about raw intelligence. It is also about how efficiently you process information and make choices.

I have seen people say BCG Casey is easier than the live interview, but other people say they did fine in live cases and still struggled with Casey. That makes me think it is not really easier, just testing a different set of things. For anyone who has done both, how would you compare them? I am trying to figure out where to focus my prep.
Mayank G.CoachCasey is not simply easier or harder. It is different. The format changes the experience quite a bit because you are responding to a digital flow instead of interacting with a human interviewer in real time.

I am doing regular case prep already, but I know Casey is a different format. How much separate prep does it actually need?
Mayank G.CoachYou do not need to rebuild your prep from scratch, but you do need some format-specific practice. The biggest difference is getting used to how information is presented and how little room there is for clarification compared with a live interview.
