Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I can finish undergrad one semester early, which puts me in an awkward recruiting timeline. I'm technically still a student during internship recruiting, but I could graduate before the following summer. How should I think about internship versus full-time applications?
Mayank G.CoachRecruit based on the role you will actually be eligible to start, not only on your current student status.
I am already in junior year and recruiting is getting close. I never joined the consulting club because I thought it would be mostly first-year stuff. Is it still worth joining now, or should I just spend that time on case prep and applications?
Mayank G.CoachIt can still be useful if the club gives you access to peers, mock cases, alumni, or recruiting information you would actually use.
I am a sophomore and I have good grades but basically no leadership titles yet. Junior-year consulting recruiting feels close and I keep seeing resumes with club presidents and founders. What can I realistically build over the next year that would still make a difference?
Mayank G.CoachYou still have time to build meaningful evidence of leadership, and it does not need to come from having the biggest title on campus.
I am studying humanities and keep wondering whether I am at a disadvantage versus business / economics / engineering students for MBB. Do firms actually hire people from humanities, or is that mostly marketing?
Mayank G.CoachYes, humanities students can be competitive. MBB firms hire across disciplines because the job requires problem solving, communication, judgment, and learning quickly rather than one specific major.
If doing a second major could pull down my GPA and make it harder to graduate with honors, which one is more useful for MBB recruiting? The second major is interesting but not necessary for my career.
Mayank G.CoachDo not add a second major purely as a consulting signal. Firms are much more interested in strong overall academic performance and what you accomplished outside the classroom.
I am a rising sophomore and interested in MBB long term. I know junior-year recruiting is still a while away, so what is actually worth doing now versus way too early?
Mayank G.CoachFocus on building a strong base rather than trying to simulate senior-year recruiting two years early.
I am in a non-business major but interested in consulting. Would switching into business make MBB recruiting materially easier, or should I stay in the subject I actually like and just learn the business basics separately?
Mayank G.CoachStay in the major that fits your interests and where you can perform strongly unless you have a separate reason to switch.
My freshman GPA is rough and I am worried I already damaged my chances for MBB internships later. I still have plenty of semesters left, but the first-year grades are going to sit on the transcript forever. What should I actually do from here? Is the goal just to raise the cumulative GPA as much as possible, or can internships / leadership offset a weak start?
Mayank G.CoachA weak freshman year is not ideal, but it is far too early to self-reject. An upward academic trend can materially change how the record looks by the time you recruit.
If your goal is MBB after undergrad, which schools actually give you the strongest recruiting access? I know the obvious Ivy / top-school names, but is there a better way to judge a school than just prestige rankings?
Mayank G.CoachLook at recruiting access rather than prestige in isolation. The useful signals are whether MBB firms recruit on campus, how many students they hire, the strength of the alumni network, and which offices those graduates typically enter.
I am heading into the summer before junior year and MBB recruiting feels like it is suddenly getting close. What should I prioritize over the summer so I am not scrambling when applications open?
Mayank G.CoachFirst, confirm the recruiting calendar for your school and target offices. Some deadlines arrive earlier than students expect.