Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
The audio on my side was working, but the interviewer could barely hear me at the start and we spent a few minutes fixing it. Once it was resolved, the interview went normally. Is that something I should mention to recruiting afterward or just leave it alone?
Mayank G.CoachIf the issue was fixed quickly and the full interview still happened, you usually do not need to escalate it.
My connection cut out during the middle of a virtual case. I got back in after about a minute and a half and the interviewer continued normally, but I am worried the disruption made the interview look messy. Should I proactively email the recruiter about it?
Mayank G.CoachIf the interview resumed normally and the interviewer was aware of the connection issue, you usually do not need to turn it into a major incident. A short note can be appropriate if the disruption materially affected the interview.
For virtual MBB interviews, what setup is actually worth having? Laptop only? External webcam? Headset? Second monitor? I want to avoid tech problems without turning my desk into a streaming studio.
Mayank G.CoachYou need reliability more than fancy equipment. A stable laptop, working camera and microphone, strong internet, charger, quiet room, and a simple backup connection are enough for most candidates.
If your camera freezes or microphone suddenly stops working during a virtual case interview, should you keep troubleshooting live, leave and rejoin, or ask to reschedule? I do not want a small tech problem to turn into ten minutes of awkwardness.
Mayank G.CoachStart with the simplest fix and communicate what is happening. If the interviewer can still hear you, say that your video appears to have frozen and ask whether they would like you to reconnect.
I heard BCG Boston may not allow calculators for some upcoming interviews, and that honestly threw me because a lot of my practice has been with clean numbers or calculator-style online assessments. For an actual live case, how much arithmetic should I expect to do by hand, and is it worth changing my prep if the office says no calculator?
Mayank G.CoachA no-calculator live case is not unusual. The math is generally designed to be solvable with structured arithmetic, estimation, percentages, ratios, and clean division rather than long technical calculations.
Worst-case question: if your internet drops in the middle of a virtual McKinsey/BCG/Bain interview, does that count against you? What should you do immediately so it does not look like you just disappeared?
Mayank G.CoachTechnical failures happen, and a short connectivity problem is not the same as a performance failure. The important thing is how quickly and professionally you recover.