Search across courses, lessons, cases, drills, coaches and more.
Ask anything about cases, applications and recruiting. Members and coaches answer.
I took six months off to care for a family member and then returned to work. The gap is obvious from the dates. Should I put a line explaining it on the resume, or wait until someone asks?
I was laid off in a broader restructuring and I'm now applying to consulting. I don't want to sound defensive, but I also don't want the recruiter to think I was fired for performance. How much explanation is enough?
Mayank G.CoachKeep the explanation factual, brief and forward-looking.
I'm interviewing for consulting while working full time and my schedule is getting harder to hide. I have a good relationship with my manager, but I don't want to create unnecessary risk if I don't get an offer. When would you tell them?
Mayank G.CoachIn most cases, you do not need to disclose an external interview process before you have a reason to act on it.
My current job has one project I am very proud of and can quantify well, but most of my day-to-day work is fairly standard. I worry that my resume will look like one strong bullet surrounded by weaker ones. Is that a problem for an experienced-hire application?
Mayank G.CoachOne strong achievement helps, but a stronger application shows a pattern of impact.
My company gave me more responsibility and a meaningful pay increase, but our titles are very standardized so my official title never changed. I want consulting recruiters to see that I progressed. How can I show it without inventing a title I never had?
Mayank G.CoachShow the progression through scope, responsibility, and achievements rather than changing the official title.
I received a company award that is considered a big deal internally, but the name means nothing outside the organization. Is it still useful on a consulting resume, or does an unknown award just take space from more concrete achievements?
Mayank G.CoachInclude it if you can explain what the award represents and why it is selective.
I have been in my first full-time job for about a year and I am already thinking about MBB. I do not want to apply so early that recruiters see me as basically a campus candidate with no real track record. Is there a point where work experience starts becoming much more useful?
Mayank G.CoachThere is no universal minimum tenure, but you want enough time in the role to show meaningful achievements rather than simply proving that you were employed.
How should I position myself for MBB after going from BCG to a boutique firm?
Mayank G.CoachYour story can actually be compelling if you frame it around progression rather than trying to explain away the boutique move. Be clear about what you learned at BCG, why you chose the boutique, and what you gained there that you did not have before.
I accepted a strong internship that starts after MBB applications open. Can I list it on my resume as an incoming role, or does that look weird since I have not actually done any work yet?
Mayank G.CoachYou can generally list a confirmed incoming role if you label it clearly as incoming and do not invent responsibilities or achievements.
I have been leading operations for a small business and my role is broad: pricing, hiring, process fixes, vendor issues, basically whatever breaks. The company is not a famous brand, so I worry recruiters will discount it. Can small-business leadership be strong enough for MBB experienced hiring if the scope and results are real?
Mayank G.CoachYes. Brand helps recruiters understand a role quickly, but strong operating responsibility can be compelling even at a small company.
For junior summer, would an investment banking / finance internship or a consulting internship be better if the ultimate goal is MBB full-time? Assume both are solid offers and I am genuinely interested in both.
Mayank G.CoachA consulting internship is the more direct signal if the work is strong, but a good finance internship can also build highly transferable analytical and client-facing skills.
I have an internship offer that is not consulting, but the work seems analytical and I would get real responsibility. Is it better to take that or keep chasing something with 'consulting' in the title because I want MBB later?
Mayank G.CoachTake the quality of the experience seriously, not just the title.
I have good grades, a couple of internships, and some campus leadership, but nothing that feels insanely prestigious. How do you know whether your work experience is actually strong enough for MBB screening?
Mayank G.CoachThere is no single prestige checklist. Recruiters look at the overall evidence of achievement, progression, leadership, and impact.